What's new

Multi user mupen

killthegene

One Kool dude
my home computer has multiple users all of which wish to use mupen. so instead of installing it in each individual home dir i installed it in /usr/games/mupen64. this works fine however saves are a problem as mupen outputs save files which only the user who created them can read. so if a game loads up a save at the very start and you arent the first person to play on the game mupen will segfualt. any ideas on what to do?

Soggie

symlinks?

You could create a ~/.mupen directory for each user using mupen64, containing symlinks for 'roms', 'plugins' and 'lang', as well as a directory 'save'.

Alternately, you could make 'save' a symlink to a shared directory. This shared directory better have g+rws permissions and be owned by a 'games' group to which all users of mupen on your system belong, or you will run into permission problems.

Couple this with a shell script in ~/bin/run-mupen.sh (or similar):

#!/bin/bash
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa #optional
cd ~/.mupen
/usr/bin/mupen64 $@

Myself, I'm placing the mupen64 files here (trying to be somewhat FHS-compliant):
/usr/bin/mupen64[_nogui]
/usr/share/doc/mupen64/*
/usr/share/mupen64/lang/*
/usr/share/mupen64/roms
/usr/share/pixmaps/mupen64.png
/var/lib/games/mupen64/save/*

Last edited:

blight

start using your brain!

write some kinda wrapper script which looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

MUPEN64DIR=/usr/games/mupen64

if [ !-d $HOME/.mupen64 ]; then
  mkdir $HOME/.mupen64
fi

cd $HOME/.mupen64
ln -fs $MUPEN64DIR/mupen64
ln -fs $MUPEN64DIR/plugins
if [ !-d save ]; then
  mkdir save
fi

./mupen64

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
thanks for the help. i will see if i can work out what you meen and follow it (im reletivley new to linux)

blight

killthegene said:
thanks for the help. i will see if i can work out what you meen and follow it (im reletivley new to linux)
i already figured that you are new to linux!
since you are new please don't believe you know everything going on and tell things like masterquest doesn't work if it's prolly your fault which makes it not working :geek:

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
as i said in that other thread it only doesnt work with my version of mupen and hacktarux has backed me up on that

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
neither of you idea seem to work. would it be possible to do it with a symbolic link using the $home verible? say link to $home/.mupen/save? what about doing setuid on the mupen64 binary? i dont know if any of these would work.