What's new

Glide64 0.41, eVoodoo, and Zelda OoT

fearpi

i haven't seen much about issues with glide64 and evoodoo. i know that glide64 isn't made for wrappers, rather for a true 3dfx card, but i was wondering if anyone can help me config my plugin and/or wrapper for optimal performance. the speed is great. i just have some minor issues in Zelda OoT.

- first, certain 2d sprites are blacked out, such as the buttons in the file select screen, and the numbers representing the quantity of your C-button items.

- also, i'm getting flickering on the ground, yellow lines appearing and disappearing.

- lastly, i'm getting dark green colors where transparency should be on objects such as plants and ladders.

ideas, anyone?

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
#1 - It's broken, for now. Use Glide 3.1
#2 - Set depth buffer type to "W-Buffer" in the Glide Settings
#3 - Turn off alternate Z-Buffer in eVoodoo. There are some circumtances where it's necessary, but having it off gives you the least glitches. If you feel it's that necessary, you can switch it on when the time arises (certain paths will be messed up, mostly, nothing too major.)
#4 - Enjoy a nearly flawless emulation

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You know that glide64 *has* been developed with the wrapper in mind! It actually communicates with the wrapper if found. Well, but the wrapper is still a little outdated.....

OP
fearpi

fearpi

hmmm... interesting to know, doom. i guess i just got the wrong impression from the glide64 readme because the author very clearly states he does not want to be contacted with errors found using a wrapper.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
fearpi said:
hmmm... interesting to know, doom. i guess i just got the wrong impression from the glide64 readme because the author very clearly states he does not want to be contacted with errors found using a wrapper.

ditto

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Glide64 was developed with the wrapper slightly in mind (not anymore, not since around version 2,) and eVoodoo was made with Glide64 specifically in mind. Unfortunately with all the new version eVoodoo gets more and more out-of-sync with the plugin and as of version 4.1 I don't see it as a viable option.

But, thankfully, Mcleod will bless us all soon :happy:

OP
fearpi

fearpi

I just noticed something... the changelog for Glide64 0.41 specifically notes the correction of coplanar textures... i'm pretty sure this is what my ground flickering is attributed to. soo.... does that mean it's an eVoodoo problem or just not a complete fix on Glide64's part?

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
If the ground is flickering, try turning alternate Z-Buffer on, and tell me what happens (you'll have to restart eVoodoo by going out then back in to fullscreen.) If that fixes the problem, as I suspect it will, it's a well-known issue that will be fixed in the next version.

NOTE: turning on alternate Z-Buffer will break other things (distant polygons will be chopped.) General recommended setting = off.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
fearpi said:
That's because gonetz and dave (he was the author before) cannot fix wrapper errors, and hence it's annoying to get bug reports of wrapper problems. These should goto mcleod.

Well, so i suppose.

OP
fearpi

fearpi

Doomulation said:

That's because gonetz and dave (he was the author before) cannot fix wrapper errors, and hence it's annoying to get bug reports of wrapper problems. These should goto mcleod.

Well, so i suppose.

well, yes, that pretty much goes without saying. but it's difficult to know which device (glide or evoodoo) my errors are in.

vampire... using Glide64 3.1 WIP did fix my blacked out sprite errors, however, the other two remain. using W-Buffer rather than Z-Buffer changes doesn't seem to do anything with the coplanar texture error. and the alternate z-buffer in econtrol doesn't seem to make any difference for the transparency. here, let me see if i can upload some screenshots in a minute...

Last edited:
OP
fearpi

fearpi

transparency effects with alternate z-buffer on:
trzon.jpg

transparency effects with alternate z-buffer off:
trzoff.jpg

coplanar texture error (identical with Z-buffer and W-buffer):
coplanar.jpg

pay no attention to that 23% at the bottom of the last screenshot :)

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
You've got to restart eVoodoo by going in and out of fullscreen or restarting emulation for the changes to take effect. It clearly looks like you didn't do that.

Glide64 3.1 (WIP) + eVoodoo 3.25 w/ Alternate Z-Buffer off (alternate if needed) & Buffer Mode W-Buffer = NEARLY flawless OoT emulation. Trust me, you are doing something wrong (or there is something wrong with your video card/it's really bad)