What's new

I don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinjiIkari

I don't like titles
This is a message board all about emulation, yet people are banned for even speaking in public of how they get ROMs or even offering them.

I understand where rom requests would get annoying, but what is wrong if another user decides to contact someone with the message board about how to get them? The site couldn't be held legally responsible as long as it isn't hosting the files...

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I never heard anything about it not being allowed to do that in a PM.

If that is the case though, moderators, take into consideration that the RIAA just lost its court battle to hold P2P companies liable for people trading copyrighted files. That sets a precident that the provider of the medium used to trade anything illegal simply can't be held accountable.

Hell, I dunno, just my 2 cents on the issue. Doesn't make a difference to me how this forum is run in that regard.

OP
ShinjiIkari

ShinjiIkari

I don't like titles
Diplomacy is an extension of war :happy:

If that is the case though, moderators, take into consideration that the RIAA just lost its court battle to hold P2P companies liable for people trading copyrighted files. That sets a precident that the provider of the medium used to trade anything illegal simply can't be held accountable.

Yes even if the site was being used to transfer roms between people, you could not be held accountable. People speaking of trading/giving ROMs and people transferring ROMs through EmuTalk's servers are two different things, in my book.

Last edited:

Gorxon

Administrator
We have dozens of demos here which you can download, that are fully legal. You ask us why we don't allow rom links, when your intentions clearly are to act illegally...so why should we support that? Downloading roms are illegal no matter how you put it, and that is something we do not condone...no matter how "legal" it is do so...

The other point is that rom trading decreases the overall quality BADLY. Believe me, rom trading makes boards rot like never before, and attracts idiots.

AW:

And what about those dozens of people that have been sued for providing links to mp3s? Yes, many who only had links to other sites containing mp3s have lost in court...besides, the web is not p2p.

OP
ShinjiIkari

ShinjiIkari

I don't like titles
I was always under the impression that emulation as a whole was illegal...

Anyways, there is a difference between condoning and aiding. There is nothing wrong with this site staying open as a means in which people can trade ROMs. Promoting it should be protected under free speech.

I do see your point about it attracting a lot of bad influence to the boards, though. So I guess you are right

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Gorxon said:

AW:

And what about those dozens of people that have been sued for providing links to mp3s? Yes, many who only had links to other sites containing mp3s have lost in court...besides, the web is not p2p.

*shrug* I don't know, he was talking about PMs, not open forum. Are you sure that the sites themselves got sued? Or those who put the links on the site? (I never heard about this) It makes no difference to me honestly anyways though, I was just giving my 2 cents.

Martin

Administrator
ShinjiIkari said:
I understand where rom requests would get annoying, but what is wrong if another user decides to contact someone with the message board about how to get them?

Although we could, of course we respect your privacy and do not read your private messages. There are vbulletin hacks we could install that lets us do this, or the private messages could be read directly from the database, but as I mentioned above, the messages are private, not public. Whatever you wish to discuss with eachother is up to you, but hinting publically in a thread to contact eachother about where to get ROMs or offering ROMs, is crossing the line.

Several times before we have explained why we do not support (illegal) ROMs, I bet you can find some threads on the subject by using the search function.

alexa999

Banned
Re: Re: I don't understand

Martin said:
Although we could, of course we respect your privacy and do not read your private messages. There are vbulletin hacks we could install that lets us do this, or the private messages could be read directly from the database, but as I mentioned above, the messages are private, not public. Whatever you wish to discuss with eachother is up to you, but hinting publically in a thread to contact eachother about where to get ROMs or offering ROMs, is crossing the line.

Several times before we have explained why we do not support (illegal) ROMs, I bet you can find some threads on the subject by using the search function.

So does that mean that you can request roms through private messages?:plain:

ra5555

N64 Newbie
AlphaWolf said:
I never heard anything about it not being allowed to do that in a PM.

Hell, I dunno, just my 2 cents on the issue. Doesn't make a difference to me how this forum is run in that regard.

Yes, in the same context. The gun stores don't have to be accountable for what people do with the product they provide, why should kazaa or any other P2P service providers? I think the same should apply to Internet messageboards.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Re: Re: I don't understand

Martin said:

If we knew ET is using the bot, we could just use the same trick for those annoying bots in internet chat rooms. eg typing d.o.wnloading r.o.m instead of downloading rom :p

Martin

Administrator
I'll close this before it goes out of hand, we'd rather have no ROM discussions at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.