What's new

Harddisk issues...?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, it seems to have my primary hard disk is damaged...i'm sure the data is ok, but the thing is that the bios can't detect it! It's probably due to that the power was interuppted suddenly...i think. The thing is: i can't access it anymore...

I know there should be some companies out there that actually can save data on disks like this...any you know of? Or any suggestion to what i should do? I can't lose the data on it...i just can't do that...it's important.

Maybe the IDE-cable is damaged. You need to try to remove the cable from the disk and the mobo and put it in again. If that doesn't work the cable (or in the worst case the whole controller inc. ) is damaged, and try a new or other one (you might have one in one of your old comps if you still have them).

Allnatural

Yeah, it may just be a bad cable. That happened to me recently when my pc's RAID controller failed to detect one of the drives. Fortunately I had some spare IDE cables sitting around.

Trotterwatch

I know there should be some companies out there that actually can save data on disks like this...any you know of? Or any suggestion to what i should do? I can't lose the data on it...i just can't do that...it's important.

Can be a pretty expensive business getting data back though, just how vital is it you get everything back? Have you got things such as important Schoolwork?

Do what the others have suggested, change the IDE lead and change the Power lead (in case that has somehow gone wrong).

ShinjiIkari

I don't like titles
This happened to my friend about a year ago. He pulled the plug on his comp and his BIOS stopped detecting it. When I went to his house all I had to do was set the Primary Master to his old harddrive and it started working again.

My guess is that you either have to reconfigure your BIOS as he did or that your harddrive is physically damaged (duh). It is probably worth prying the drive out and trying it on a friend's computer as a secondary. If it doesn't work on their computer then the harddrive is probably shot... although I don't think that is the case because I have never heard of a drive dying just from sudden loss of power. Hope this helps, good luck

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Allnatural said:
Yeah, it may just be a bad cable. That happened to me recently when my pc's RAID controller failed to detect one of the drives. Fortunately I had some spare IDE cables sitting around.

I don't know if its bad luck or what, but I had two broken harddisks without replacing the cables.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Yeah um well, wtf, why does this happen? :saint:
Um anyway, there's nothing wrong with the ide cable, nor is it the power cable. I also tried forcing the settings in bios but it just said "bad disk" or something.

Suppose it remains: a) try on a friends computer or b) damaged :(

back in 1997 i lost my first hdd (3gb) i was like shit my parents gonna kill me..
lost another one in 1998 again 3gb..

just 2 months ago i lost my 60gb hdd!!. this time i lost like 55 of stuff i didnt want to lose.. :cry:

i suggest u doomulation to try it on a diff computer and release all jumpers (to try to boot it as slave) that way every harddisk is recognize even if they are more hdds on same computer..

I've never lost my harddisk. My 6 years old one (6 GB) still exists, and my 2 years old 56 GB still exists too. And my disks-archive has floppys which sometimes are 11 years old!

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Right, seemingly as it is...I couldn't get the disk to work :cry:
So...I need to do data recovery... *sniff*
Or is there any other suggestions? :puke:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
If you send it here, I could dissassemble it for you :D

I had a 10 gig hard disk that still worked, I just decided I no longer wanted it, so I took it apart. Hard disks have pretty strong little magnets inside of em, they are fun to take apart. Only thing is I leave the re-assembly and diagnosis up to you :p

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

No, thanks :p
Maybe when I can get the data to be backed up first :bouncy:
Of course, you'll stand for the shipping cost :canadian: :icecream: