What's new

would counter factor 1 slow down more or disabling ABL?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
mightyrocket said:
Counter factor 1 won't slow the game down as far as I know, and no, it doesn't run choppy on the real N64.

The counter factor varies with each game.

Usually, the counter factor when set to a lower value
gives the GFX more focus, thus even when the game play
is not jerky, you may notice the audio stutters more.

Setting the counter factor value to a higher value can give
the audio more focus, thus the GFX are jerky, but the audio
is OK.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
CF1 and ABL can both have a great effect, it depends on the game.

Your 2nd Q, yes it runs "jerky" on a real N64, the framerate is about 20.. 18 i think? i forget now, i've been away for a long time. If you play PC FPS games and come back the N64 you will find many games are jerky - the console simply wasn't powerful and they had to drop framerates to raise number of polygons. :/ PJ does get the framerate wrong in some games, but this is not one of them.

I recommend running zelda on CF2 and ABL OFF (not the default setting) if you have a fast enough system (probably >1Ghz). The fps should not be any different than the real system (or very very close). Otherwise leave ABL on. There is no point lowering CF unless it does make the game smoother (in this case it doesn't).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Kaoss626

I'm gonna go with he might just know what he's talking about.....

after all he did write the program

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no no, i didn't 'write it' (that was 99% Zilmar/Jabo) but i know a bit about it.

Should have been more clear.. in my _opinion_ 18FPS is jerky... you might not find it so.

play wind waker on gc which runs at a smooth 60fps and then after that play ocarina of time which runs at 20fps (the same as the n64 version). big difference.
of course for the time it was released this wasn't a problem at all,especially if you took in consideration it's graphics,but now 20fps are just outdated...