What's new

Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Well, it's a friend problem, not mine :happy: It seems that he made a partition with Partition Magic a few months ago, at that moment he already had WinXP installed, and in the new partition he installed Mandrake Linux. A few days ago he deleted the Linux partition and when he booted up his PC again BOOM! :nuke: a binary code appeared o the screen (like a Matrix's one but not green) and that happen every time he wants to boot up. The file system seems to be good, we think that the Boot part of the hd is wrecked, what could we do?

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I would suggest...make another partion (primary) and install the os there. Move everything from the old partion which is fux0red to the new.

Then, either remove that pation. If the 2nd gets fux0red too, i suppose you could use it as a temporary storage place to you can format both partions and get it right :)

Maybe someone else can give a better suggestion, but i doubt it ;)

zorbid

Boot from the WinXP CDRom, launch the recovery console (press F3 when prompted)
and type fdisk /mbr

It should repair the hard disk.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
The WinXP CD repair option doesn't work, any solution without making a new partition and formatting ( a fast one) ???

Gorxon

Administrator
Best Angel said:
The WinXP CD repair option doesn't work, any solution without making a new partition and formatting ( a fast one) ???

Did you really try to run fdisk /mbr or did you just run the recovery console...?

By the way you replied it seemed like you only tried the latter...

Trotterwatch

Yep try fdisk /mbr as suggested as it will repair your Master Boot Record (well it will actually delete it and force a new one to be created).

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Well, problem solved, :blush: :satisfied after copying some files from the root directory into his hd and running the repair console againg the problem has been fixed, thanks guys, close this thread please

Status
Not open for further replies.