What's new

Coding a Nintendo 64 emulator core

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Where can I start with Nintendo 64 emulator programming?

I'm a newbie with Nintendo 64 emulator programming.

Which programming language should I use
(I.E. C++, Visual Basic and etc.) ?

icepir8

RJARRRPCGP said:
Where can I start with Nintendo 64 emulator programming?

I'm a newbie with Nintendo 64 emulator programming.

Which programming language should I use
(I.E. C++, Visual Basic and etc.) ?

C, C++ or Delphi would be the best choices.

as for finding info.... download the source to 1964 or mupen. read Zilmar's emubook. check out dextrose. Ask on efnet.

decription

Sweet man. I don't think VB would work because it isn't fast enough because it is too high of a language. The N64 is quite a beast. Also, do you have any programming history? Try starting with an NES emu or simplier first, if you've never done anything before. NES isn't all cake you know, there a plently of mappers.

Anyway, get good at C and C++. Start with something simple like an NES (as I'm doing). Work your way up. If you just start with N64 you may become too frustrated to continue. Like Ice said though, check out some sources as well as documentation, espeacially on the op-codes as well as Zilmar spec and how the core interacts with the 3 other plugins, that is if you are writing for a Zilmar spec. emu.

If you have experience with C or other languages go for it! My advice is to get a real N64 , tools to open it, docs on N64, and open source emu's to see how it goes.

Best of Luck!

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Re: Re: Coding a Nintendo 64 emulator core

icepir8 said:

C, C++ or Delphi would be the best choices.

as for finding info.... download the source to 1964 or mupen. read Zilmar's emubook. check out dextrose. Ask on efnet.

I don't even know what efnet is, second I don't know where
to get Zilmar's emubook.:plain:

aprentice

decription said:
Try starting with an NES emu or simplier first, if you've never done anything before. NES isn't all cake you know, there a plently of mappers.

Actually, making an emulator for no console is easy. The nes actually has a pretty complex gfx system, so it may not be as easy as most people say. I wouldn't start an emulator without knowing the programming language very well. If you do not know how to use bitwise operators, your not ready for it. Also, if your a smoker, emu coding kills and if your not, soda cans littering your table will keep you up all night =p
And to be successfull, lots of patience and dedication is required.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I think that there was atari or something, or even gameboy which is much easier to emulate than nes. Apparently, I think you have no programming background, so start small with gb or something even easier to begin with and work your way up.

decription

Doom, who are you referring to with the no experience comment? Me or RJsomething? I have plenty of experience in Linux and C as well as VB thank you very much.

decription

Oh, ok. I was confused.
I'm easily confused in case you didn't realize. Red Hat 8.0 drains my mental resources. Terminals and reaching into partisions get so confusing at times...