What's new

blight_input in linux

rizzi

I'm hoping somebody can give me a hand here. I've got an N64 controller with an adaptoid that I'm trying to use with mupen64 in linux. hid and joydev modules are loaded. And the controller is recognized by linux as well as other emulators. But, and here's the problem, the blight_input plugin doesn't allow me to choose anything other than none or keyboard on the configuration screen. Am I doing something wrong? Any bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Mark

Slougi

rizzi said:
I'm hoping somebody can give me a hand here. I've got an N64 controller with an adaptoid that I'm trying to use with mupen64 in linux. hid and joydev modules are loaded. And the controller is recognized by linux as well as other emulators. But, and here's the problem, the blight_input plugin doesn't allow me to choose anything other than none or keyboard on the configuration screen. Am I doing something wrong? Any bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Mark
Do you have SDL installed?

OP
R

rizzi

Yep. I've got SDL installed. By the way, why would not having it, not let me choose my input device?

Thanx

Slougi

rizzi said:
Yep. I've got SDL installed. By the way, why would not having it, not let me choose my input device?

Thanx
Blight uses SDL for the joystick stuff. Apart from that I can't really think of anything, my Adaptoid works fine.

Edit: Well, maybe I can still give you a few pointers. Don't know how helpful all this will be.

Code:
Gondolin root # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
nls_cp850               3548   1  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               4316   1  (autoclean)
snd-pcm-oss            39076   1  (autoclean)
snd-mixer-oss          13144   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
keybdev                 1792   0  (unused)
mousedev                3860   0  (unused)
hid                    16676   0  (unused)
usb-ohci               15848   0  (unused)
snd-intel8x0           18720   2
snd-pcm                62112   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0]
snd-timer              11848   0  [snd-pcm]
snd-mpu401-uart         3520   0  [snd-intel8x0]
snd-rawmidi            14592   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          4316   0  [snd-rawmidi]
snd-ac97-codec         30212   0  [snd-intel8x0]
snd                    29164   1  [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec]
soundcore               3524   3  [snd]
usbcore                34624   0  [hid usb-ohci]
joydev                  5248   0
input                   3136   0  [keybdev mousedev hid joydev]
sr_mod                 13400   0  (unused)
sg                     25324   0  (unused)
ide-scsi                7376   0
scsi_mod               50820   3  [sr_mod sg ide-scsi]
NVdriver             1067200  10
sis900                 12108   1

Code:
Gondolin root # dmesg | grep Wish
input0: USB HID v1.00 Joystick [Wish Technologies Adaptoid] on usb2:2.0

These are the only SDL libraries I have installed:

Code:
*  media-libs/libsdl
      Latest version available: 1.2.5-r1
      Latest version installed: 1.2.5-r1
      Size of downloaded files: 1,811 kB
      Homepage:    [url]http://www.libsdl.org/[/url]
      Description: Simple Direct Media Layer

*  media-libs/sdl-image
      Latest version available: 1.2.2
      Latest version installed: 1.2.2
      Size of downloaded files: 633 kB
      Homepage:    [url]http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/index.html[/url]
      Description: SDL-image is an image file loading library

If you need anything else just ask!

OP
R

rizzi

Which device is mupen allowing you to select as your input device? In other emulators, I am choosing /dev/input/js0 and it works perfectly.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
The SDL should autodetect automatically your joysticks. Maybe you have an old version of the lib... I don't know, it always worked automatically for me. Maybe you can try Obsidian's input plugin (it's included in mupen64 0.0.90a which can be found in emutalk's download database). Obsidian's input plugin isn't as good as blight's one but maybe it'll work on your computer :)

OP
R

rizzi

I'll check the version of my SDL when I get home. Maybe that's whats tieing me up. As for the Obsidian plugin, I tried that as well, but it kept wanting to use /dev/js1 (Don't know where it got that idea). Anyways, I got that plugin to work with some of the buttons (it wouldn't recognize the directional buttons) but every time I would time in the correct device /dev/insput/js0 it would revert back to /dev/js1 after a while. Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.

Mark

OP
R

rizzi

I was just browsing the SDL site and found the following:

Q:I'm running Mandrake or Slackware and applications can't find SDL!

A:You probably have a version of SDL built with aRts sound support, and the KDE libraries are not installed in a system standard location. You need to add the directory containing libartsc.so.0 to the file /etc/ld.so.conf and then run the command "ldconfig". On newer versions of Mandrake, this directory is:
/opt/kde/lib

Since I'm running Mandrake 9.0 I figure I'll give this a shot.

OP
R

rizzi

Well, you guys are going to love this. I got home and tested it again last night and it was suddenly working. Kinda wierd. Ended up having to put the values in the input cfg file be hand. Was having a bit of a problem with the gui config. Got it all working though and am now playing with the N64 controller and adaptoid. (Although it is taking up 99.7% of the cpu :doh: )

Speaking of which, anyone know where I might be able to pick up a couple more of the adaptoids? I know that they aren't making them anymore. If not the adaptoid, what else are people using as a N64->USB adaptor in linux?

Mark

OP
R

rizzi

Yep. Did all that. I chose the adaptoid, and started setting the values for the buttons. The problem was that half the time it would assign the wrong number or the number of the last one that was assigned.

ie I would press and assign #12 and it would 'take'. The I would attempt to press and assign button #10 and and instead of assign #10 it would assign #12 again.
I'm pretty sure I was doing it right 'cause most of the buttons were assigned correctly. That's why I just ended up editing the file by hand.

I appreciated all of the help by the way.

Mark

Slougi

Open mupen -> Configure input plugin. (In this case v0.04)

Select Adaptoid

Click on control I want to configure -> a window pops up and closes immediately. Control is set to X Axis + or X Axis - depending on how I hold the stick. There is no "center" for the analog stick so I could set it to anything else.

However, if I configure it by hand it works. Also 0.01b works completely fine, even the config part.

Now that I read rizzi's comment again I realize it is a different problem! Was prolly too tired yesterday evening (Was just browsing the forums before going to sleep ;))

cp1134

Sidewinder with mupen64

Hello everyone. i am new to this board and to n64 emus in general. i dl'd and compiled mupen64 and its plugins. i cannot seem to get mupen64 to recognize my joystick (microsoft sidewinder Gamepad) when i goto the config input section in mupen64 i can select from: none, keyboard, and microsoft sidewinder gamepad. so i think that blights plugins recognizes it. the joystick works with other emulators, so i know the modules are loaded correctly. i had to manually edit the blight_input.conf file because the gui would not update properly for me. so basically what i am wondering is if it is even possible atm for the sidewinder to work in mupen64 with blights plugin, and if someone wouldn't mind posting there blight_input.conf file so i can check it out.. thank you. btw, mupen64 seems like a great project, and i am looking forward to "hopefully" get it working soon.Thanks

P.S. if i select the keyboard as input that works, but i really would rather play with a joystick.

BarretJ

I had troubles getting my adaptoid working with Mupen64 on my Debian system, it took me a while before I found a program called joystick-device-check which, according to the man page "fixes the major numbers depending on the running kernel" all I had to do was run this program and then blight's SDL config recognized the Adaptoid. This program is part of the "joystick" package which is part of the main debian repository.

Hope this helps somebody, as it would have been alot nicer to know that I needed this right off the bat.