What's new

linux development package

mesman00

What's that...?
is there like a development package for linux that i can download that has all the development tools, like libstd, libc, libgcc, and other libraries. im asking this because i want to install mozilla. however, i have to have a bunch of libs nstalled that i don't have, and when i download one of them it depends on a bunch of other ones i don't have. so, is there like one package that has all of these libs, or an ebuild? also, how do i make it so linux mounts each of my partions and my cd-burner when it boots up. do i have to edit fstab? and how should i edit it? thanks

Last edited:

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
There is without a doubt a package like that somewhere floating around the net but why would you want it? Having extral libs on your computer can be more bad the good at times. Some packages can kill other packages, thus killing your computer.

Just get what you need :)

Also if you want to get mozilla on your computer and you're using Gentoo just to a: emerge mozilla

it will install everything you need.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I'm wondering how you installed a gentoo without having all those tools... It should already be installed (at least the ones you have listed).

Slougi

Yes they should all be installed. In case you are su'ing, use "su -" instead of "su", so that you get a correct environment. As for the partitions, yes you need to edit /etc/fstab. What exactly do you want to do?

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
i got it all figured out, just wanted to make my other partitions automatically mount at start up. on more thing, where can i get a driver for my sound blaster audigy x gamer. linux still detects that i have no sound device, but i can't find a linux driver for my card.

Slougi

mesman00 said:
i got it all figured out, just wanted to make my other partitions automatically mount at start up. on more thing, where can i get a driver for my sound blaster audigy x gamer. linux still detects that i have no sound device, but i can't find a linux driver for my card.
I believe alsa will do what you want. There is a guide to setting it up on the gentoo site. Also be sure to check if there are kernel drivers for it (at the very bottom in menuconfig).