What's new

Voodoo Banshee Opinions

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Does anybody out there own a 3DFX Voodoo Banshee? A friend of mine is trying to offload a 16 meg one on me for a tenner, and I was thinking of fitting it to an old PII PC of mine. He seems to think it's pretty ace. Worth getting? I've got a GeForce 2 in it at the moment...

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Then keep your GeForce2 unless you really want to play only with glide applications. I've replaced my Banshee by a tnt2 M64 and the tnt2 is far much faster and better :)

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
How would the Banshee be emulation-wise, though. I'm really thinking of getting it for that purpose. I haven't really tried using my old PC with emulators, but would the GeForce do the job with something like 2064?

milen

At current state of emulation VoodooBanshee is better choice for penium2. Pentium2 is too slow for Geofrce2. Glide64 is faster than Jabo's plugin. You'll get full speed in most of the games without sound and in some of them wtih sound.

Ten dollars sure are good price :D

milen

Hacktarux,
Banshee vs TNT M64 ( I have both of them)

TNT M64 - more features (very slow)

Voodoo Banshee - lacking many features but suitable for emulation (About as fast as TNT2 not M64).

I have tested both cards in many tests.
I also have voodoo3 which I'm using now and works absolutely great.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Voodoo cards isn't really suited for emulation. But it works due to Glide64, although you cannot run some games.
Anyhow, a banshee will have some problems with Glide64 due to that it cannot do multitexturing, therefore, a voodoo2 (i think) or higher is needed to aquire the latest of Glide64.

Raziel64

Glide64 beta tester
but...

I`m a voodoo banshee user, and (like Doomulation says) some capabilities are not present in this card, but is really fast for emus like UltraHLE 2064 or plugins like Glide64.
Unfortunalety, almost all new games uses hardware TnL or other new graphics techniques, and them are not suuported too.
In comparison with a Nvidia TNT, I think Banshee is better,faster, and have much better graphic quality (really!).
Other thing: the key are the drivers used. I`m using a driver compiled and optimized by guybrush2k2 and me, becouse with all the others drivers tested, I have problems to run certain games.
Like I say, banshhe are good, but you must to think in a voodoo 3 maybe...

Smiff

Emutalk Member
No Way .. would i swap a GF2 for a Banshee.. jesus i'd think twice about swapping a TNT2 for a Banshee with the driver support. my 2p is keep that tenner. Use Glide64 with a wrapper if you have to.

milen

You all miss imortant fact. He have pentium2 which means that the cpu limits Geforce2. Glide64+Evoodoo on his CPU is too slow for the same reason. Surely Gerorce is faster but on cpu >500mhz

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I didn't miss the point. You said voodoo cards were "suitable" for emulation. In fact, in may be faster, but it isn't suitable for emulation!
Besides Glide64 and Lewpy's Glide plugin for psx and uhle of course...what more "voodoo" compitable plugins are there? Voodoos aren't too good at doing directx and (afaik) doesn't support ogl at all. The best for a voodoo would be Glide, which not much uses nowadays.

And btw, while using directx, it's slower than Glide and thus, making it slower even though it's a Voodoo card. See the truth.

milen

About Voodoo3 and Jabo's DirerectX 1.5 Plugin I'm sure that it works fine(one exception Yoshi Sotry) and very fast. In fact Fater than TNT2. I didn't test Banshee with this plugin but think that it'll work with good speed.

Voodoo3+Duron1200+JaboDX615+JaboDSound = Perfect Dark full speed

My video card upgrades
Trident 4MB AGP -> Savage4 -> VoodooBanshee -> TNT2 M64 -> Voodoo 3

I was very dissapointed when I upgraded my Banshee for TNT2, so I bought Voodoo3 and now I'm very happy :D

I don't want to say that TNT2 M64 is crap it's OK card but is slower than Banshee in DIRECTX,GLIDE and faster in OPENGL.

(TNT2 M64 != TNT2) if somebody don't know. In fact TNT2 ULTRA is as fast as Geforce 2MX 200