What's new

geometry extraction...

sketzh

Does anyone know how to extract the vertex data from a rom like Zelda ??

The plugins do load the vertex-data from the rom-file right?

Rice wrote that it would only take 5 lines of code to do it....

What do I write to get the vertex data out ?

Anyone who knows ?

euphoria

Emutalk Member
You could take an open source plugin and modify it so that it dumps the vertex info. Or make a plugin yourself, it's not hard because you don't have to draw anything, just go through the dlist and process the zelda versions of G_DL, G_ENDDL, G_VTX, G_MTX and G_TRI1 (+other Zelda Triangle functions) and dump these. Textures are bit trickier and there's obvious problem of what vertex belongs to what object. Onnea.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
I assume you ask someone to write it for you but i guess noone is gonna make it for you...

Do you know any C++?

OP
S

sketzh

euphoria said:
...process the zelda versions of G_DL, G_ENDDL, G_VTX, G_MTX and G_TRI1 (+other Zelda Triangle functions) and dump these.

G_DL, G_ENDDL, G_VTX, G_MTX and G_TRI1... what are those ?

(NL)Falcon4ever said:
I assume you ask someone to write it for you but i guess noone is gonna make it for you...

Do you know any C++?

Yer I know a little C++. Do I need to know a lot ?

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Forgive me being cruel but just read this line

-forget it-

Knowing a little C++ won't help you enough to create a DLL that can output the vertex info.

:)

OP
S

sketzh

(NL)Falcon4ever said:

-forget it-

Knowing a little C++ won't help you enough to create a DLL that can output the vertex info.

:)

Well.. I have actually never ever made a DLL. But I have made my 3D-engine several years ago in Watcom C++ 32bit Protected Mode (DOS).. So I have a little insight in C++.

I did Flat-, Gouraud- and Phong- shading in software rendering.
And thats like 5 years ago. I have just started to code some Windows + Dx8 a few weeks ago..

But I want to build my own 3D characters much like those in Zelda. So it would help me a lot if I could rip to see how they could actually make such fine characters in such a little triangle count.. Amazing!

euphoria

Emutalk Member
sketzh said:
G_DL, G_ENDDL, G_VTX, G_MTX and G_TRI1... what are those ?

Those are n64 RDP commands. All you need is an open source plugin and if you don't understand by looking it how you can dump the vertex info, you should learn more C until you do.

-forget it-

Don't be discouraged by this post, since this is not hard to do. All you need is a little understanding of how dlists work and how to print to a file and how to compile it :)

OP
S

sketzh

euphoria said:
Those are n64 RDP commands. All you need is an open source plugin and if you don't understand by looking it how you can dump the vertex info, you should learn more C until you do.

Well I better get myself an opensource plugin then :D

icepir8

As Taz would say....
Y 4 do U wish this Y 4?

There is a lot of info you need to export for it to be usefull. Having an idea what you are going to use the vertex dump for would help in determining what you need dumped.

OP
S

sketzh

icepir8 said:
There is a lot of info you need to export for it to be usefull. Having an idea what you are going to use the vertex dump for would help in determining what you need dumped.

Well.. I am trying to make some figures in 3D.. As I love the characters in Zelda (especially Link as a kid) :) I would like to get the vertices and the trianglelist so I can see and learn from them to create my own characters.. :blush: It wouldnt hurt either if I could squeeze my triangle as much as Nintendo can :D

OP
S

sketzh

Re: ..

WTF.. this: daedalus_graphics_src_0.08b_pre4.zip is missing a png.h file.. it wont compile.. damn..

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Re: Re: ..

sketzh said:
WTF.. this: daedalus_graphics_src_0.08b_pre4.zip is missing a png.h file.. it wont compile.. damn..

It uses some kind of library for the texture dumping feature. Try looking for it.

OP
S

sketzh

Re: Re: Re: ..

CpU MasteR said:
It uses some kind of library for the texture dumping feature. Try looking for it.

Arghh!!! Why have they taking that away from the source ?
The files are probably freeware if I am not wrong...
Damn.. If I get the file somehow it will probably turn up to be an older release or newer or whatever..

euphoria

Emutalk Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: ..

sketzh said:
Arghh!!! Why have they taking that away from the source ?
The files are probably freeware if I am not wrong...
Damn.. If I get the file somehow it will probably turn up to be an older release or newer or whatever..

Maybe you should take a look at http://www.libpng.org/

OP
S

sketzh

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ..

euphoria said:
Maybe you should take a look at http://www.libpng.org/

I have downloaded: lpng125.zip and zlib114.zip numerous times.
When I am compiling the plugin it still fucks up. All the time.. Missing files. :getlost:

Well, so be it. Enough time wasted on this.

Cyberman

Err.. sometimes you ought to check where the files are located and such. You need the libpng files I think in a specific directory :)

Gee.. this reminds me of compiling image alchemy with tcl support! :)

Cyb