What's new

I need some way to extract vertexdata..

sketzh

Does anyone know how to extract the vertex data from a rom like Zelda ??

Is there a plugin that already supports it?

Please help.

OP
S

sketzh

I guess what a plugin does it to load the vertex-data from the rom-file right?

If so, how are those romfiles put together?

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
We dont accualy see the vertex math. All the plugin does is calculate the vertex data that the rom throws at the plugin. I thin there might be a way to dump it, but no plugin allows that just yet.

Rice

Emulator Developer
So many open source plugins are available, you can take anyone and modify it a little bit to dump what you want. Need no more than 5 lines of code.

OP
S

sketzh

Rice said:
So many open source plugins are available, you can take anyone and modify it a little bit to dump what you want. Need no more than 5 lines of code.

Can that be done using VC++ 6.0 ?

Can you name any specific plugins that would be easy to modify ?

BTW: 5 lines of code... Can you give me those 5 lines of code I need, please ?

PS.. There will be created index&vertex -buffers for all objects at the start of the game right ?

Last edited:
OP
S

sketzh

BTW: 5 lines of code... Can you give me those 5 lines of code I need, please ?

What do I write to get the vertex data out ?

Rice

Emulator Developer
You can do with just 2 lines.

ofstream outputfile("c:\\vertex-output.txt"); // Open the file

outputfile << v.x << ", " << v.y << ", " << v.z << ", " << v.norm.x << ", " << v.norm.y << ", " << v.norm.z << ", " << "\n"; // output vertex data to the opened file

Of course you need to figure out where to put each line. Good luck.

OP
S

sketzh

Rice said:
You can do with just 2 lines.

ofstream outputfile("c:\\vertex-output.txt"); // Open the file

outputfile << v.x << ", " << v.y << ", " << v.z << ", " << v.norm.x << ", " << v.norm.y << ", " << v.norm.z << ", " << "\n"; // output vertex data to the opened file

Of course you need to figure out where to put each line. Good luck.

Is that really all it needs.. damn.. thats not much =)

BTW: is there a special way to compile the file so that it turns up as a DLL ?? I have only done exe's at school...

Rice

Emulator Developer
Re: ..

sketzh said:
Is that really all it needs.. damn.. thats not much =)

BTW: is there a special way to compile the file so that it turns up as a DLL ?? I have only done exe's at school...

It IS real that you only need these two lines. And you don't need to build an EXE, just add these two lines to a plugin, and build it, and then use this plugin to play the games, all vertex data will be dump into the file.

Not use these two lines to make an EXE, but ADD two lines to an existing plugin project.

OP
S

sketzh

Re: Re: ..

Rice said:
It IS real that you only need these two lines. And you don't need to build an EXE, just add these two lines to a plugin, and build it, and then use this plugin to play the games, all vertex data will be dump into the file.

Not use these two lines to make an EXE, but ADD two lines to an existing plugin project.

To make the plugin work I have make a new build. And as I recall it all plugins are DLL's right?

My question is just: is there some special stuff to set up to build as a DLL?

Rice

Emulator Developer
Re: Re: Re: ..

sketzh said:
To make the plugin work I have make a new build. And as I recall it all plugins are DLL's right?

My question is just: is there some special stuff to set up to build as a DLL?

The source projects have already been set ready to build into a DLL. You don't need to modify the project setting.

OP
S

sketzh

okiedokie then.. =)

I think I saw somewhere that Zelda is kept in its own fileformat somehow.. Is that true ?

travkliewer

I would very much like to do the same thing sketzh is trying to do. I'm currently trying to develop an extensive zelda encyclopedia and true polygon models of characters and enimies would incredabuly inhance my project. I don't know very much about programming so once someone finds out I'm hoping that maybe they could share their findings with the public. I'm really just throwing my thougts into the subject looking for a response. Thank you very much.

OP
S

sketzh

travkliewer said:
I would very much like to do the same thing sketzh is trying to do. I'm currently trying to develop an extensive zelda encyclopedia and true polygon models of characters and enimies would incredabuly inhance my project. I don't know very much about programming so once someone finds out I'm hoping that maybe they could share their findings with the public. I'm really just throwing my thougts into the subject looking for a response. Thank you very much.

I am currently making a 3D-intro for a gamecompany. But when I am done (in a few days) I will get back to you.
Write your email here so I can contact you.

OP
S

sketzh

Re: ..

WTF.. this: daedalus_graphics_src_0.08b_pre4.zip is missing a png.h file.. it wont compile.. damn..

Is it not supposed to be recompilable ??

OP
S

sketzh

Rice said:
lol, you happened to pick the one with problems.

version 3 is missing some stuff too..

mmkay.. have you got a link to a noneprobby one then ?
one with everything included ready to compile..?

some zlib.h is missing too among others as well..

Last edited: