What's new

Car Diagnostic Computer

Vchat20

I know this might sound stupid, but this is what I was wondering:
My mom has been having some mechanical problems with her car lately and I was wondering if there was maybe a way I can turn my personal computer into a Diagnostic computer to see what is wrong with the car? Any known way's? I would be glad to pay any amount of money to do it if this was possible.

cooliscoo

EmuTalk Member
I don't think it's possible. You would need ALOT of professional equiment which is out of most normal people's price range.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

well, it was a thought. it would be nice though since my mom is planning on buying me a laptop soon. the cord to connect wouldnt be a problem. just connect to the serial port on the computer. software would be the hard part.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

I just did an advanced search on google. their are tons of programs that can do this. only thing is you need a computer close to your car and need to find a cable that connects the serial port to the Diagnostic port on your car. I am searching on cable's now.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

this page HERE has a good solution to the cable and software problems. good for those backyard mechanics.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I hope you aren't looking for anything very "user friendly", because this is not verbose in the sense that you are probably expecting. It merely helps you determine the problem quicker, it wont necessarily tell you exactly whats wrong.

L

Lachp30

It all sounds a bit SUS to me, but why not give it a go..?:plain:

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

irt AW: I am more than a mere user. I have a good amount of computer knowledge and am sure it will help in this project.

irt Lachp30: for one, dont have the laptop to do this yet, and two, i havent found a site that will either help me make a cable to connect it, or find one cheap (and when i mean cheap, i mean $10 or less cheap).

Allnatural

I know that with older GM vehicles (and presumably Ford and Chrysler) a simple jumper wire was all you needed to get the trouble codes from the onboard computer. Bridge two of the connections in the diagnostic port, turn the ignition to the ON position, and count the flashes of your "check engine" light. Look up the code and there's your problem. Newer vehicles require a more professional approach.

None of the above is really important since you can take your car to many parts stores and they'll extract the trouble codes for you. Do you have an Autozone in your part of Ohio? I know they can do it for you.

Keep in mind too that finding the source of your problem this way assumes the problem is tripping the "check engine" light, i.e. it's related to emission control, directly or indirectly. True "mechanical" problems (worn parts, etc.) won't be picked up.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

Allnatural said:
I know that with older GM vehicles (and presumably Ford and Chrysler) a simple jumper wire was all you needed to get the trouble codes from the onboard computer. Bridge two of the connections in the diagnostic port, turn the ignition to the ON position, and count the flashes of your "check engine" light. Look up the code and there's your problem. Newer vehicles require a more professional approach.

I believe her car is a '96 For Windstar.

Allnatural said:
None of the above is really important since you can take your car to many parts stores and they'll extract the trouble codes for you. Do you have an Autozone in your part of Ohio? I know they can do it for you.

Yes we do have one along with a plethura of auto shop's.

Allnatural said:
Keep in mind too that finding the source of your problem this way assumes the problem is tripping the "check engine" light, i.e. it's related to emission control, directly or indirectly. True "mechanical" problems (worn parts, etc.) won't be picked up.

Well, the main problem that she had was the tranny went out on it. she only has 1st gear and cant go over 30. and at some points it shifts up to 2nd, but then back down on its own. fortunately she has a warranty.

Originally posted by AlphaWolf
which make/model/year would this car be?

See above

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

the only reason why i want to do this is we can see what is wrong with the car (if something does go wrong) without having to take it to an auto shop.