What's new

Can't run Direct 3D HAL, Anything I can do?

Pushead

Pentium 4 1.99 Ghz
GeForce 4 MX 420
Creative Sound Blaster Live!
256 Mb RAM
25 Gb free Hard Drive Space
Windows XP Home Edition
Direct X9

My video card doesn't support Direct 3d HAL. Is there a driver I can download for this? I have downloaded all the latest nVidia drivers and the latest Windows updates. I am running PJ64 with the Open GL plugin but it doesn't support some roms. Is there anything I can do?

GuestX

uhm... no, your graphics card has Direct3D HAL support,
i have the same graphics card. try 1964, i think it will
help....

BTW -> BTM: don't think its a DX9 prob :p

EvilTwin

I havent seen any OpenGL plugins that do all commercial games but u started thread about Direct 3D. But if u wanna play most commercial games use Direct3D plugins like (default) Jabo's 1.5 . Also check if the emulator can play the game if not try another good emulator called 1964 Most games go faster on it but this emulator is less stable but i cant tell u much about 1964 since i never use it. Hope this helps
-E.T.

icepir8

I'd try XP service pack 1 if you haven't already.

Also uninstall your video drivers and do a clean install. Sometimes things get bungled up and that is the only way to fix them.

hope this helps

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
That card indeed supports direct3d hal (which is, afaik, normal usage, which all games use for direct3d [directx]).
Also make sure that color depth isn't set to 24-bit, as it may cause problems with directx sometimes.

returno

not 256 either

Also don't set your desktop to 256 colors or you will get a HAL error every time.

OP
Pushead

Pushead

Thanks. I tried 1964 and was able to get it to work (though it was a bit choppy). Still, I would like to get PJ64 to run. As far as I can tell, my card does not support Direct3DHAL, only OpenGL. Does anyone know if there is somethng I can download for this? I had already downloaded the Windows XP Service Pack and the latest nVidia drivers (as I mentioned in my original post), and they did not help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers without any luck. Also, I can only set my color depth to 16-bit or 32-bit and either way it wont work. Any other ideas?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Make sure you have the right dx version. Reinstall dx.
And also: ALL CARDS SUPPORT Direct3D HAL.
Oh, and that wasn't screaming, just a notice ;)
Without it, you cannot play even a 3d game on your computer! Think about it.

OP
Pushead

Pushead

Not HAL

My card supports Direct3D, but not Direct3DHAL. Thanks, anyway. I will try to reinstall Direct X, though.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Re: Not HAL

Pushead said:
My card supports Direct3D, but not Direct3DHAL. Thanks, anyway. I will try to reinstall Direct X, though.

Painful reading such needless confusion >_<

HAL means Hardware Abstraction Layer, it just means the driver can't access the hardware directly. It's a Good Thing™.

Direct3D non-HAL is used by Windows 9x because 9x doesn't protect your hardware; therefore programmes can access things directly. This is a big cause of crashes though, so for Windows NT Microsoft introduced a HAL. It's a generic layer which the driver accesses to gain hardware control; this allows Windows to remain functional even when the hardware stalls... USUALLY.

You're sure you downloaded a Windows XP driver... in which case you should support Direct3D HAL but not Direct3D. ;)

Basically, my best suggestion would be visit nVidia's web site and download the latest WHQL Detonator. If even those don't help, then you MIGHT have faulty hardware. Maybe.

OP
Pushead

Pushead

Here is an insert from my nVidia Driver's readme file;

File list
---------
ALIAGP.SYS - AGP support file for Aladdin TNT2
DMCPL.EXE - NVIDIA nView control panel
GENERIC.TVP - NVIDIA nView generic desktop profile
KEYSTONE.EXE - NVIDIA NVKeystone application
NV4_DISP.DLL - NVIDIA display driver
NV4_DISP.INF - Windows 2000/XP display driver information file for NVIDIA
NV4_MINI.SYS - NVIDIA miniport driver
NVCPL.DLL - NVIDIA display properties extension
NVCPL.HLP - NVIDIA display properties extension help file
NVIEW.DLL - NVIDIA nView desktop and window manager
NVIEWIMG.DLL - NVIDIA nView image library
NVINSTNT.DLL - NVIDIA installation/uninstallation support file
NVMCTRAY.DLL - NVIDIA media center library
NVOGLNT.DLL - NVIDIA OpenGL driver
NVSHELL.DLL - NVIDIA desktop explorer
NVSVC32.EXE - NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP helper service
NVTUICPL.CPL - NVIDIA nView control panel
NVWCPLEN.HLP - NVIDIA nView help file
NWIZ.EXE - NVIDIA nView wizard
README.TXT - The file you're reading

I don't see anything for Direct3DHAL, or any Direct 3D. I think I'm missing the file needed for Direct3D. Am I looking in the wrong place? I'm sorry if I'm being an idiot about this, but I really want to get PJ64 running. By the way I appreciate anyone who tries to help me.

OP
Pushead

Pushead

Sorry.

:blush: I would like to apologize for my idiocy. I have solved my problem and found that the source was infact the plugin I was using. For some reason I can't use Jabo's direct 3d plugin. Oh well.