What's new

New Hard Drive aka Time for Linux

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, I bought a new hard drive (which means I now have 3) Most my software still runs on Windows but I need Linux for my CS courses in school. So, here is what I have planned.

80 GB 7200rpm Western Digital - Windows XP
13 GB 5400rpm Western Digital - Linux
2 GB 5400rpm IBM - Windows 98

I need all three of these for testing purposes on programming, my questions are...

1. What is a good version of Linux to use?
2. I remember a site iso-linux.com or linux-iso.com or something similar but cant find it again. Where can I download Linux from?
3. What is a good boot sector software that can handle all three of these?

Martin

Administrator
Eagle said:
OK, I bought a new hard drive (which means I now have 3) Most my software still runs on Windows but I need Linux for my CS courses in school. So, here is what I have planned.

80 GB 7200rpm Western Digital - Windows XP
13 GB 5400rpm Western Digital - Linux
2 GB 5400rpm IBM - Windows 98

I need all three of these for testing purposes on programming, my questions are...

1. What is a good version of Linux to use?
2. I remember a site iso-linux.com or linux-iso.com or something similar but cant find it again. Where can I download Linux from?
3. What is a good boot sector software that can handle all three of these?

1. I recommend Red Hat, pick the latest version (8.0) :)
2. http://www.linuxiso.org
3. Partition Magic is good if you can afford it.

2fast4u

1. i use gentoo and im pretty satisfied with it. suse is good stuff for all in one imo

2. linuxiso.org

3. grub

:)

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
1. For starters I would recomend Mandrake or Redhat
2. Go to the official site of the linux distro of your choice and get it from there :]
3. Instal : Windows 98 , Windows XP , Linux. Linux has a bootloader called LILO ( or other in other distros ) - it can easly boot several OS'es

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
1) For ease go with Mandrake, for speed go with Gentoo, for a mix of both go with Suse.

2) Those type of sites are always filled with shitty descriptions and often have links to old builds. Go to www.linux.org and look through their lists of linux releases. for Mandrake: www.mandrake.com (and it will redirect you), for Gentoo: www.gentoo.org, for suse: www.suse.com.

3) There are many boot loaders. Personally I like grub, but lilo and partition magic are also good alternatives. Grub and lilo are free and all 3 can support tons of multipal OSes (way faster and better then MS's boot loader).

Before choosing linux go to Mandrakes site and make sure that all your hardware is supported under linux, if its supported by mandrake then its supported by everyone ;)

Good luck :)

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
1. Where do you get this Grub? I cant find it.

2. What is XGI SFX?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Suse is my favorite distribution.

IIRC, both redhat and mandrake include grubb, I know for sure suse does.

In re to hardware, always make sure that the hardware you buy has linux support, even if you plan on not even using linux. The reason why is linux supported hardware has the tendency to not be dodgy, e.g. winmodems, because odds are its developers actualy gave a damn about its quality/functionality instead of its profit margin when they designed it.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, most my stuff is generic, My video card is nvidia, my sound card is creative, no modem, Linksys ethernet, Not sure about TV Capture, but I dont need it in linux. Hard drives, floppy drive and CD-Writer should be compatible, not sure about gamepad, it should work but again, dont need it, Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers should be fine. Motherboard, processor and memory obviously should be fine. So the only real conflict is my Phoebe capture card which most likely doesnt have linux drivers. I should be ok.

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
If your TV Card is based on Bt787 or similiar chipset it should work fine, after some tunning that is :]
I worked on my FlyVideo II for 2 days seting PAL/NTSC... CABEL/AIR and country to get it to work, and then I had to tune every chanel manualy :]

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
All dirtros come with either Grub or Lilo so don't worry about the boot loader, thankfully most distros set it up for you.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Anyway if something goes wrong and you can't boot anymore you can always restore the mbr with the windows xp installation disk. Boot on it and press the key to go into their console and use the functions to restore mbr (i don't remember how they call it since i only used it once).

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
or using a bootable floppy disk with fdisk type :
fdisk.com /mbr

or was it .exe ?

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, I know how to set up the MBR. Anyway, I have to wait till I get my hard drive, and I havent ordered it yet cause I lost my debit card and had to have it canceled and they are still sending me a new one. Oh and I think my TV card is a Bt878

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
brooktree chipset...that card is supported and some...do a google search for "fscktv", you'll find its the only software that does what it does, it only works on brooktree chipsets, and it's only written for linux. Even if its purpose doesn't interest you (doesn't interest me, I'm not much of a cable guy, but I played with it anyways), you should should still try use it anyways, learning to set that program up will teach you a lot about linux.