What's new

Windows Media Player 9 here!

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I believe this is their first Digital Restrictions Management enabled release of media player.

Cyberman

Yep.. MS has been working on an OS for Digital Rights management which part of XP has in it. Yet another nail in the coffin of free sound and video use. Just like XP it'self (what you had to fix your computer with a new hard disk and added a midi card? I'm sorry you'll have to PAY MORE!)

Cyb

Vchat20

I personally use both WMP9 and Winamp mysef. But for winamp just 2.81 . Cuz Winamp 3 is just too slow. mainly I use winamp for my radio station or listening to streaming radio. WMP9 I like to use for ripping cd's (of course I turn off the copyright).

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Just a note, WMP9 will rip your cd's in very terrible quality. Your much better off using winamp's stream feature and an ogg codec, but even that isn't the best.

Cyberman said:
Yep.. MS has been working on an OS for Digital Rights management which part of XP has in it.
Cyb

I hardly see what rights we gain out of this ^_^

Vchat20

What do you mean? it rips fine for me. I admit it uses WMA format but it works for me. It takes forever but it is great quality in my opinion. plus I use 160KBPS quality when ripping, so that might matter.

Cyberman

CD quality is 320kbps or at least DVD quality.

I'm still having problems with DivX encoding.

I would like a free format version to rival DVD .. it's too constricting and anoying a format. Granted holyweird doesn't want people duping movies and such.

I find the chinese knock offs of movies not the greatest but they aren't copy protected at least (chuckles).

Cyb

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
This is old news. And afaik, wmp9 has issues and isn't much better than the old 8 or 7. But one new feature: it shows a little tip about what song is playing atm.

OP
lario

lario

The Smart One
Doomulation said:
This is old news. And afaik, wmp9 has issues and isn't much better than the old 8 or 7. But one new feature: it shows a little tip about what song is playing atm.

21 minutes old when I posted it. You have found bugs in the final version already?

CD quality is 320kbps or at least DVD quality.

For MP3 CD-q is 256kbps cbr or 192kbps vbr.
For MP3pro /WMA lower.