What's new

FAT32 to NTFS

neoak

Triforce of Something...
Anyone here knows a tool that let me convert my FAT32 disk into a NTFS one WITHOUT losing my data or reinstalling WinXP?

skull1

im9i7
try partition magic 8 can easily do it for you with losing data. i used with even backing up and it worked but i recommend that you back up first before doing any conversion.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

Do that from a command prompt (inside of XP--I BELIEVE it prompts you to reboot and it does it then).

Then a defrag after cant hurt either :cool:

whats better about ntfs?

There is too much to list really

More robust
Better security
< insert about a million more >

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

If you convert using the convert command in XP though I believe you end up with NTFS but with a horrible cluster size which decreases efficiency and increases defragmentation.

nycbeatatl

Lives in ATL, longs for NYC.
whats better about ntfs?
XP says that its better if you have a HDD 40 gigs or more.
It also says that if you have multiple OSes, stick with FAT32.
By the way, you cant change back to FAT32 once youve gone to NTFS, remember that if you're thinking of changing.:D ^_^

Eagle

aka Alshain
vampireuk said:
convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

Do that from a command prompt (inside of XP--I BELIEVE it prompts you to reboot and it does it then).

Then a defrag after cant hurt either :cool:

There is too much to list really

More robust
Better security
< insert about a million more >

my brother wants to know if this will work if he upgraded to XP home from Win98.

liteuser

I'll be Back!
HI
Yes you can convert to ntfs or (windows nt file system )with xp home or pro upgrade or other wise.
But if you install two operating systems on your hard drive or have two hard drives windows 9x to ME Edition will not work with ntfs. and you cannot convert back you have to run fdisk in dos use windows ME startup disk and repartition .

From website
FAT32-based manufacturing tools can be used. For Windows XP preinstallations, you can continue to use current tools to manufacture FAT32 volumes, except the Windows Me version of FDISK must be used. This revised version of FDISK correctly calculates disk sizes on large drives. Microsoft also provides straightforward methods for converting FAT32 volumes to NTFS.

I had xp pro on a second harddrive in ntfs format and windows me in fat32 format you cannot read the xp from me although xp can read me. so i keep my format fat32 .heres another thing if your pc crashes like my friends did it will be much harder to reformat see it takes 6 floppy disks to start xp in ntfs and only
1 ME windows startup disk in dos for fat32 to install windows.
My advice is dont convert , if you want ntfs format do it when you install xp new.

Ok NTFS is good to have but if you plan to switch back for any reason plan to erase your hard drive . I Like to have two operating systems that way if a program wont work on xp i have the other one and it will .

I am currently running ME and XP in Fat32 that way moving files from Me to XP can be done. you can install a new full version of xp in fat32 format . choose not to format the drive you install xp to . and that way you still have your original operating system as well as xp. You may want to repartition a drive for xp before you install it but , do not do it if you only have one drive . or you can get an extra harddrive like me . as long as I want to keep my old operating system that was installed when i bought my pc I will use fat32. besides it makes a good backup in case of a crash. And my restore cd works on my old ME os and does not effect my XP os. I have to say Fat32 has worked good for me.
I hope this helps i wasnt told this by anyone i had to figure it out on my own and yes i am a newbie.

specs
700mhz AMD Duron
20 gig with ME
40 gig with XP PRO
192 ram
Nvidia AGP

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
upgrading is a mistake, reformat and install the new OS from scratch. You'll like it a hell of a lot better if you do.

liteuser

I'll be Back!
heres how i see it
get xp
keep your old os bonus
get a new hard drive add it bonus
or install without formating keep your old os bonus
restore cd if you have one still works on old os bonus
fat32 makeing both Xp and 9x compatable bonus
amounts to a very stable and crash resistant PC

Edit Alpha your right about win 2000 but my pc came with
ME . and your right about file size . I still say two heads are better then one . And i have software that will not work correctly
with xp . I dont see a need to go buy more just so it can work on XP. Also my restore CD restores my old system in two minutes with all the right stuff. Im not ready to give that up
Besides with the extra harddrive I can install any OS to it , great for future Plans. I think its the best of both worlds as i said i can change my XP to ntfs but then ME Can not detect the drive it is installed to but from XP you can give a file or take away a file.
So im sticking to what i say fat32 is the better choice for me.
Im not going to throw away the system and software for my extra components my pc came with who would? laterz

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Thank you liteuser, I am aware of the multi OS complications I just havent had much experience converting from FAT to NTFS. Alpha I totally agree, but my brother is a hard head and now he has already bought the upgrade.

OP
neoak

neoak

Triforce of Something...
Trotterwatch said:
If you convert using the convert command in XP though I believe you end up with NTFS but with a horrible cluster size which decreases efficiency and increases defragmentation.

I just converted, and is awesome! It took no more than 15 minutes to convert my 60GB HD.

I'm sorry to counter your believings, Trotterwatch, but with the old FAT32, i had clusters of 32KB each one. Now each one is 512 bytes only!!!

Be careful, because after the conversion, the PC will take almost five times to load all. You MUST Defrag after doing the convertion.

I wanted to format and reinstall, but since the conversion, and all those 32 processes charged in my old account. Now, i created a new account, and have 12 processes.

WinXp is the best of all the Windows. (For me, of course!)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
liteuser said:
heres how i see it
get xp
keep your old os bonus
get a new hard drive add it bonus
or install without formating keep your old os bonus
restore cd if you have one still works on old os bonus
fat32 makeing both Xp and 9x compatable bonus
amounts to a very stable and crash resistant PC

Make sure your aware that fat32 has a 2 gigabyte filesize limit, and the fixed sector size is larger, meaning more slack, e.g. wasted space per file, bad thing.

Also, between the NT based OSes: If you want more compatibility with older stuff and more stability/speed, windows 2000 is a better choice. If you want more "user friendliness", XP is a better choice.

Eagle said:
Thank you liteuser, I am aware of the multi OS complications I just havent had much experience converting from FAT to NTFS. Alpha I totally agree, but my brother is a hard head and now he has already bought the upgrade.

The upgrade doesn't mean you have to "upgrade", it just requires that you own an older version of windows. You can still install it from scratch, just boot it up like a normal windows NT OS boot cd, and it will ask you for the cd of an older windows operating system. It doesn't have to copy anything from the cd, just verifies that its authentic as per your license with the upgrade.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

I'm sorry to counter your believings, Trotterwatch, but with the old FAT32, i had clusters of 32KB each one. Now each one is 512 bytes only!!!

Erm exactly, that is horribly inefficient. The correct cluster size for NTFS on a clean format is 4k.

Here is a quote from: http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/tech/storage/ntfs-preinstall.asp

In Windows 2000, CONVERT handled this problem by forcing an NTFS cluster size of 512 bytes, which resulted in reduced performance and increased disk fragmentation. In Windows XP, CONVERT chooses the best cluster size (4K is the ideal).

To maximize NTFS performance, Windows XP FORMAT and the new OFORMAT tool format a new file system as FAT or FAT32, ensuring that the data clusters are aligned on at least a 4K boundary and that the FAT32 cluster size is 4K or larger.

Consider my case rested.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Eagle, I see no reason for it not to work as long as he doesnt plan to use 98 (as liteuser stated) :)

I would still suggest he backs up his important stuff(pr0n pr0n and pr0n):happy: and format instead. :)

OP
neoak

neoak

Triforce of Something...
Well, i'm happy with what i have, considering i wanted to keep the less possible wasted space, i'm happy with the results.

And for the performance, i don't mind waiting 10 sec (because thats all the difference!).

If you want me to backup my data, come and you do it. 20 GB compressed are NO FUN backing up! (Less in 700MB CDs! If you want me to burn it in a DVD, then Lend me or Buy me the damn drive!)

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
lol, backing up all that with a cdrw is not that bad actually :)

Just label them clearly put them in order and then install them all back on

I have about 40gb of cds lying around =\

cant wait for the 2 x 200gb drives:happy:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I've set myself up so that all non replaceable files are immediately backed up to my (rather inexpensive) linux server running an smb share (as well as a few game servers) as soon as I make or change them. I can format at any time and restore my origional configuration within 30 minutes.

:linux: