What's new

Question, can you record music from the n64 directly to your hard drive?

bigcatchris

i wanted to know if i could record music from mystical ninja, to the hard drive, because it has a couple of songs that i really like

Allnatural

Both Jabo's and Azimer's plugins support audio logging. Of course, you may end up recording some effects in addition to the music, but I don't think there is a way to pull sound straight from the rom.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Also note that they are recorded as wave-files, which tend to get pretty big. I suggest you go get yourself an application to convert the wave-file to a mp3-file later ;)

pilm

It would be a great idea that someone do a song exctactor for the N64, as the SPC songs of the SNES, wich would exctract only the "MIDI" file; an other program would emulate this file, like a rom but with only sound.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
pilm said:
It would be a great idea that someone do a song exctactor for the N64, as the SPC songs of the SNES, wich would exctract only the "MIDI" file; an other program would emulate this file, like a rom but with only sound.

I think this has been already discussed. It is only possible on the SNES because the SNES has a dedicated sound chip. N64 sound uses a general-purpose coprocessor which also handles gfx and some other stuff.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Not possible. The music and the sound effects are played on the same channel, which means it is impossible to seperate them.

Nemo

Master Sporksman
Not sure if this does what you are looking for, but here's the description:

N64 Disassembler
This is THE definitive tool for viewing the contents of N64 ROMs. It has a sound, graphics, hex, text, and disassembly editor. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. It was written by Jovis.

it's at:
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/n64util.html

(I don't think Zophar's has referrer checking, but if so just go to www.zophar.net and scroll down to "Utilities" and click "Nintendo 64")

This may or may not do what you want it to, from the name I'd say it doesn't, but from the decsription it seems it may. If not... sorry, heh. Good luck.