What's new

Game saves across multiple emulators

Dr. Famicom

Talks Out Of His Ass
Hmmmm....
Are all save files - not save states - among related emulators the same?
Or rather, how can i get one emu to recognize save files from another?

Vchat20

yeah. cuz the Saved Games were written directly to the ROM by the ROM itself. so it is in the ROM coding, not emu code.

OP
Dr. Famicom

Dr. Famicom

Talks Out Of His Ass
Right then. Thanks.
But there's still that second question, which is really the main one. Not to sound demanding or anything.

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
If you selected to Save in the Game ( not by a emulator option ) the save should ( as said ) be wrien in to the ROM, so that rom runned on other emus will have the save from the prev. one.

If your not getting this to work, you prolly have a ZIPped ROM image. AFAIK emulators dont ( cant ? ) write to ZIPped roms so they create external save files. Try tu unzip the rom - load a game - save it on a different slot and check if that worked.

OP
Dr. Famicom

Dr. Famicom

Talks Out Of His Ass
I don't use zipped roms at all. Ever. I have all these kewl icons associated with my files. My Snes roms look like Snes cartridges. It just...feels better that way.

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
Are you talking bout saves in SNES or N64 ?
AFAIK transfering saves from ZSNES to Snes9x ( and Snes9x to ZSNES ) cannot be done.

OP
Dr. Famicom

Dr. Famicom

Talks Out Of His Ass
Nes. Specifically Nesten to FCE Ultra( I've come to recognize it's superiority )

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
So it prolly cannot be done aswell. AFAIK Nes ans SNES emulators always save the savegames in a seperate - emulator specific - file.

Vchat20

Yeah. I have noticed that myself. I have only like 9 games for ZSNES, but in the ROM folder I have over 50 files.

OP
Dr. Famicom

Dr. Famicom

Talks Out Of His Ass
By the way, BTM, I've never seen an Emu that writes saves directly to the rom. Did I miss a setting or sommat like that?

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
I might be wrond but dont N64 emus do that ( I think Corn did it that way, or I just couldn't find the save files )

Allnatural

Nothing is written to the rom as it were. It defies the definition does it not? Read Only Memory. It's simply not possible, nor desirable. All saves (native or state) are made to seperate files.

Dr. Famicom. With all this time spent waiting for a definitive answer to your query, did you ever think to experiment for yourself? I did, to satisfy my own curiosity. I made a couple of saves in NESten (native saves, Zelda 1 & 2 to be specific), and transfered the generated files to my FCE Ultra directory. The saved games loaded flawlessly. This may not work with all systems and all emulators, but for your specific situation it looks like everything will work just fine.

Lesson for today: Try to answer your own questions. :)

OP
Dr. Famicom

Dr. Famicom

Talks Out Of His Ass
I had tried that initially. I wouldn't bother any of you if the answer was right under my nose!
But nonetheless, after your post, I tried it again. I tried it after re-assuring that I had the most recent versions of both Emus - including mappers - and i tried removing the spaces in the game and save files names. No results.

However.

It wasn't long before I realized I needed to properly arrange the "directories" section.

I had tried the most obvious solution, but I Hadn't tried anything else.

Sorry about this thread....