What's new

I Love Uhle 2064

yawis3632

OH MAN!!!!! ok i just want to say thanks to the UHLE 2064 team WOW, such a good emulator!!! i was a diehard :pj64: pj64 fan, i loved it, and then i got into 1964 but pj was still my favorite, now i dunno 2064 is REALLY GOOD lol sorry for this pointless thread but i really enjoy your emulator and i hope u persue your efforts in emulation farther, thanks!!!!

OP
Y

yawis3632

lol 2 questions

lol i know its lame to respond to your own post but, i have 2 questions,

1) when i run the emulator using jabo 1.4 the cpu usage flickers at the bottom of the screen, is there anyway to make it stop?

2) is it possible to use jabo 1.5, i read the help file and the boards but that didnt work so if anyone knows how, fill me in

and again... I LOVE THIS EMULATOR... Such a FAST Emulator, im in heaven.... sorry... peace

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Re: lol 2 questions

yawis3632 said:
2) is it possible to use jabo 1.5, i read the help file and the boards but that didnt work so if anyone knows how, fill me in

Yes, it is. You can either a) install the .NET runtimes, or b) copy the msvcr70.dll file from your PJ64 folder into your uHLE folder.

yawis3632 said:
OH MAN!!!!! ok i just want to say thanks to the UHLE 2064 team WOW, such a good emulator!!! i was a diehard :pj64: pj64 fan, i loved it, and then i got into 1964 but pj was still my favorite, now i dunno 2064 is REALLY GOOD lol sorry for this pointless thread but i really enjoy your emulator and i hope u persue your efforts in emulation farther, thanks!!!!

I don't think your post is pointless.

What it suggests to me is that when some people were questioning the point of working on UHLEs' source code, because of the advances in other emulators, that a perfectly good reason, (possibly overlooked by some) is CHOICE. As demonstrated in your post, the use of all the emulators, discovering what you do or don't like about them is a good thing.

Personally, I'd be disappointed if my only choice was PJ64 because of its compatibility levels, or 1964 because of its speed.

Why limit ourselves at all ?

Happy New Year to all of you :)

Last edited:

thumperward

Because other emulators don't have questionable copyright on the code. And as for the 'choice' thing, shoehorning every emu into using Zilmar spec plugins isn't increasing choice. There are already about 5 working emulation cores for the N64.

- Chris

thumperward said:
Because other emulators don't have questionable copyright on the code. And as for the 'choice' thing, shoehorning every emu into using Zilmar spec plugins isn't increasing choice. There are already about 5 working emulation cores for the N64.

- Chris

Ok, I see where you're coming from, but that's like saying "Don't build any more makes of car, we already have 5 models with engines".

If the Zilmar spec alone was the "only" thing that made an emulator what it was, then every emu would be identical.

But that isn't though is it :)

Therfore, I restate my point that it actually does present a choice.

Last edited:

thumperward

No, because from what's been done already it looks like rather than try to actually do something new with the emu (i.e. hack Rogue Squadron and C&C into working perfectly), which would be seen to be 'pushing HLE to its limits', they're trying to turn it into 1964. And at the same time, rather than just concentrating on making graphics work properly, they've gone for this "Xengine" approach which doesn't work on either my Rage 128 Pro (I still have to use Nemu on that! Bloody NEMU!) or my Voodoo 3 (glide doesn't even start, OpenGL's as broken as ever on a Voodoo and Direct3D makes Windows shut my video card down half the time. This is with drivers that run everything else perfectly well, from other plugins to modern games).

- Chris

Quvack

thumperward said:
No, because from what's been done already it looks like rather than try to actually do something new with the emu (i.e. hack Rogue Squadron and C&C into working perfectly), which would be seen to be 'pushing HLE to its limits', they're trying to turn it into 1964. And at the same time, rather than just concentrating on making graphics work properly, they've gone for this "Xengine" approach which doesn't work on either my Rage 128 Pro (I still have to use Nemu on that! Bloody NEMU!) or my Voodoo 3 (glide doesn't even start, OpenGL's as broken as ever on a Voodoo and Direct3D makes Windows shut my video card down half the time. This is with drivers that run everything else perfectly well, from other plugins to modern games).

- Chris

ummm doing something new with the emu includes raising compatibility, which is pushing the HLE method, because it hasnt been tried on this scale so much before. We arent trying to turn this into 1964, we are trying to improve the emulator in terms of compatibility and other things.

"Hacking" Rouge Squadron and C&C into working isnt a priority yet because there are many other things that need to be dealt with in order to get other things working, those games are difficult enough to get to run in emulators which use other methods of emulation.

If ya gonna complain about everything, piss off, its that simple. You dont have to use this.

thumperward

Quvack said:
ummm doing something new with the emu includes raising compatibility, which is pushing the HLE method, because it hasnt been tried on this scale so much before.

But if the whole point of HLE is to provide good speed and nice effects on specific games, why carry a rock up a hill by using HLE methods (game-specific hardware faking) across a lot of non-working games? Wouldn't this take an awful lot longer than it would to use a proper emulator (not meant in an abusive way: UHLE isn't really technically a proper emulator) to magically get these things working with correct low-level emulation?

I mean, commendations if you DO go through the WHOLE of Ultra.ini and write big chunks of code to fake enough hardware for each game - but if you're only doing it for games which already have acceptable emulation then what do you seek to gain from it? Aiming only for games which don't currently work well, and trying to fake enough to get them working would surely help both the emulator and the scene in general (by producing information on unemulated games) more.

"Hacking" Rogue Squadron and C&C into working isnt a priority yet because there are many other things that need to be dealt with in order to get other things working, those games are difficult enough to get to run in emulators which use other methods of emulation.

Surely that's the whole point though? It's hard to do by having to get perfect GPU / core / mempack / toaster emulation, so UltraHLE got around it by faking enough of each bit to get specific games running.

Alright, maybe you aren't making it into 1964, well what about Nemu? it used HLE too, but had a bit of low-level emulation to help compatibility. Is that what you're going for?

- Chris

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
thumper, stfu and die plz.
If you don't appreciate what they're doing then get lost before you get banned. Seeing as you only have 10 posts, and i've read quite some of them, they are all stupid! Stupid! Worthless!

Do us all a favor and stfu plz.
Hate to say this just before new year.

Hi again,

Ok, I'm not going to be abusive about this, because you have raised some points that you believe are valid, that's fair enough.

I don't claim to know a lot about the technicalities of emulators, only the simplistics and the feedback I read from other users on this message board.

But my original post did try to justify the importance of choice.

Although my knowledge is limited, one thing I do know is that users with low-end spec PCs, do seem to have problems with speed, on the other emus. I'm fortunate enough to own what most people would consider a powerful computer, and have no problems with frame rates etc.

But it pleases me no end to know that there is an emu out there for people less fortunate than myself. And why should emulation be limited to someones ability to afford a high-spec PC. the speed of UHLE brings the joy of emulation to everyone (the way it should be), and if the guys can improve compatibility, plugin support etc, then I for one commend them.

I do hope you see the point I'm trying to make here. :)

thumperward

Doomulation said:
thumper, stfu and die plz.

No thanks. Thanks for taking the time to reply though. You added a lot to the thread, and in such a polite manner.

I've already had eight points off for my little outburst, I've doen quite enough slagging off. I don't have to take two million "stfu" attacks from every regular for the next week because of it. Flaming me doesn't do anything except try and draw me into a flame war which will just end up with bannings.

- Chris

Last edited:

thumperward

************ said:
But it pleases me no end to know that there is an emu out there for people less fortunate than myself. And why should emulation be limited to someones ability to afford a high-spec PC. the speed of UHLE brings the joy of emulation to everyone (the way it should be), and if the guys can improve compatibility, plugin support etc, then I for one commend them.

That's fair enough, it's understandable that "pushing the HLE approach" might mean continuing exactly as UHLE did and concentrating entirely on getting advanced games to work on low-end machines. However it seems that a lot of the work towards compatibility seems to be being done by making parts of UHLE more similar to existing 'MLE' emulators (adding zilmar specs and such).

- Chris

Dominator

thumperward, I hope this will clear a few things for you and those who wonder ... :

- Why going Zilmar speccies?
To offer a wide choice of plugins to all users.

- Why making the Xengine a plugin?
To let the users take full profit of the Xengine with another emu they like (coz it runs a game UHLE 2064 doesn't run yet or any other reason).

- Why only adding speed?
Check out our what's new list. We have added much more than speed in one release and we could add a lot more in the future.
Speed is nice to run games at full speed with higher res on slow/average machines. You got a more powerful PC? Fine. Then hopefully emu/plugins authors can express their creativity with new features without hurting the holy "FPS counter".
Also, how about porting a slow LLE emu on another platform ;)
We're opening some new possibilities at the price of countless hours of work. Just take a second to open your eyes.

- Why not focusing on games that are barely/not playable?
That would really be "romulation", right? We're not interested in working on such a project.

- An emu that needs chuncks of hacks for each game is useless.
No. It's just got weak points, like the original UHLE. UHLE 2064 doesn't need heavy patching like UHLE 1.0 did. But that is something you can't see by yourself anyway.

- HLE is useless compared to LLE compatibility wise.
There ain't no PURE LLE N64 emulator. There ain't no pure HLE n64 emulator either. UHLE 2064 is using LLE when needed and if it doesn't doesn't hurt speed.

That's fair enough, it's understandable that "pushing the HLE approach" might mean continuing exactly as UHLE did and concentrating entirely on getting advanced games to work on low-end machines. However it seems that a lot of the work towards compatibility seems to be being done by making parts of UHLE more similar to existing 'MLE' emulators (adding zilmar specs and such).

You are entirely wrong here. Pushing it to the max would end up with perfect compat and Corn's speed.

Happy new year.

Cyberman

Hello all
thumperward

I know it's fun to be excited etc. However I've noticed a few getting hot headed about things. Opinions are great but always keep in mind an opinion is not necessarily the truth, it's just your view of the world. The truth is a complete image of reality knowing all the details and understanding them, since no one has such a thing we all have opinions. Don't let your opinion poison what you see and people against you.

Dom etc. have put work into the emulator and know what the code is about. I don't think anyone would be working on it for as long as he has (consider Supra HLE) to be copying code and pasting it.

As for new releases yep bugs are the reality, I've made lots of buggy releases myself :) Chill in other words talk to people like you would like to be talked to treat people like you would like to be treated. Trust me it's easier on you and everyone else.

Besides at the end of the day sharing your anger and frustrations will not acomplish a single thing.

Zilmar specs increase flexibility and functionality.. a good example of this is PSXemupro emulator for the PSX, inspite of the fact the EMU is TOTALLY DEAD, plugins still proliferate for it. Think about that.. ePSXe PSX AdriPSX even FPSE (odd one that) all have a heiriatage from PSXemupro's forward thinking. The Zilmar spec isn't god, but it sure as heck allows one to focus on bugs in the core Emulator than attempting to get the graphics working. There are no perfect Zilmar spec plugins yet either. However people who are working on those can focus on graphics and not the core emu instead. This allows a lot of people to work on a single goal without the two interfering with each other.

Sometime Dom I need to actually test UHLE 2064! LOL ...

Cyb

OP
Y

yawis3632

you are an idiot

thumperward said:

But if the whole point of HLE is to provide good speed and nice effects on specific games, why carry a rock up a hill by using HLE methods (game-specific hardware faking) across a lot of non-working games? Wouldn't this take an awful lot longer than it would to use a proper emulator (not meant in an abusive way: UHLE isn't really technically a proper emulator) to magically get these things working with correct low-level emulation?

I mean, commendations if you DO go through the WHOLE of Ultra.ini and write big chunks of code to fake enough hardware for each game - but if you're only doing it for games which already have acceptable emulation then what do you seek to gain from it? Aiming only for games which don't currently work well, and trying to fake enough to get them working would surely help both the emulator and the scene in general (by producing information on unemulated games) more.

- Chris [/B]

first of all i made this post to give thanks to the creator's of the emulator, because i honor their work and the amount of time it probably took to create something of this magnitude.
Also, what the hell is wrong with using a different method of emulation to get the results you want, isnt the point to play the game? so if you have to use HLE to do it, why does it matter? plus i would rather play 20 games that work perfect and fast as hell then, 200 that only works half of the time and slow as shit, im not saying that LLE is bad or a bad idea, because i dont know exactly how it work or the programming behind it, but if HLE gets the results you want in an emulator then i think its a valid method to emulate games....
also... what does this have to do with loving uhle 2064 lol because i do and i wanted to say that so y dont u take your crying somewhere else... please