What's new

Problems: New video card, new to PJ64

Madcapper

I just got the ATI Radeon 7500 (64MB) so I can now run Project 64.
The question I have concerns other video plugins that are available. So far I've only been able to get Jabo's D3D 6 to work. With all the other plugins I've tried (Glide64, TR64 Open GL, Daedalus Graphics, glNintendo64 and a 1964 plugin), I get yelled at by my computer. I get messages saying things like, "Combiners not supported", "Failed to load plugin Glide64.dll", and "Unable to read .ini file from disk."

Jabo's works fine for the most part. The only real problem I have while playing Zelda OOT is with the submenus. When I call up the submenus they load really slow and only after the screen goes white for a few seconds. The menus are also transparent, meaning I can still see Link and his surroundings while I have the menus up. All graphics beyond the submenus get somewhat corrupted while the menus are up too. It looks like the resolution drops and gets all pixeled and choppy-looking, but then smooths itself out when I close the submenus.
Is this a common problem, an emulation problem, a plugin problem
or a compatibility problem with the plugin and the video hardware?

Does anyone who's familiar with the Radeon 7500 know of any other video plugins that work well? I installed DirectX 9 and updated the video drivers from the manufacturer's website. Thanks for the help!

System specs:

ATI Radeon 7500pci (64MB)
MP: PentiumIII 866Mhz
256MB RAM
Windows ME
40 GB hard drive (13.2 GB free)
Soundcard: Crystal Sound Fusion

jollyrancher

I really don't see this lag problem.... maybe 2 seconds on my computer.... maybe it's like 1 second on N64... the thing with emulation is that if it's done right it's precise... it's just the lag is due to hardware deficiencies.... takes a strong computer and and great gfx chip to get near 100% emulation... like that joker who did 'Cruisn' USA for MAME... sure it's accurate... just takes a damn fast computer to get the job done.

OP
M

Madcapper

Are there any other video plugins that will work with Radeon 7500? Since my last post I figured out why the Glide64 plugin won't work (I don't have a 3dfx card).
What about the message 'unable to read ini file from disk'? That message applies to the Daedalus plugin. Since it's calling for an .ini file do I need to edit it somehow? I thought the .ini file was only relevant to changing ROM settings mainly.

Dogman5

----------
To tell you the truth, I would honestly return that card.

That card will be outdated within a matter of weeks, and you will be stuck with an obselete card. Retrun it, and maybe try a Raiden PRO 9000, or 9500. Maybe the Pro 9000.

Try www.newegg.com, for they have the cheapest prices.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The loading delay is a known issue. No workaround.
The thing that you see link in a "low" resolution in the menu is due to the partially working frame buffer. You can get around to make it better, but it will be MUCH slower even though you have a fast processor.

The "failed to load" message...are you using the wrapper eVoodoo?
The "cannot read .ini" message, make sure the ini-file is in the plugin-directory.

The menus are also transparent, meaning I can still see Link and his surroundings while I have the menus up.
That's how it is on the real n64.

OP
M

Madcapper

Thanks for the help. As for taking the video card back, I'd do it except for the fact that my motherboard only supports pci cards, so my choices are limited. Characteristic of Compaq computers and something to keep in mind the next time I'm shopping for a pc.