What's new

Languages?

Jerzart

Retro Freak
I'm wondering if I am headed in the right direction. I am in the middle of learing to code in c#, hoping to someday be able to develop games or emus or land a job in the gaming world somehow. It has been really tough to find any info/sample code
linking directx or opengl to c# in any way. It seems most of the more successful programs are written in c++. Should i dump the c# and work more in c++? What will help me more in the long run? I'm starting to get the hang of c# and if i'm gonna switch now would be an excellent time before i have to reteach myself.
help?

Cyberman

C# is microsofts variation on C++. They have decided that standards aren't useful for there goal of global domination ;)
(actually that's not a joke sadly :O )

Anyhow C# is a superset of C++.

As for what to learn to be a game programer, find a college with a degree program in it and look up what there course classes are, if you are fortunate you can get a hold of the syllabi for the courses. This will help you learn on the way.

However let me warn you, don't do something you think would be cool do something you enjoy. You'll be damn miserable if you do that .. TRUST me. I had to deal with people who went into computer science because they wanted to make money... I wanted to hurt them for being so DUMB. they were too couldn't do crap programing wise (LOL).

Cyb

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
not to drag up a old topic here but if you are still around and reading here I suggest checking here :)

Also for information on courses and schools

link

A good way to start would be to make your own games such as those at garagegames of course start out small and work your way up :cool:

If you want a list of resources and links to guides PM me and I will send you them:)

Last edited: