What's new

Virus Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vchat20

I had a virus at one point, and I think it was somehow caused by a ROM or EMU I downloaded off of Kazaa. What it did was every .exe file I ran it would turn every one of those into .vxd files and make a 61KB exe file in place of the old one. I reformatted my HD and moved all my emu's and roms onto a CD, so I wouldnt get this virus. I think I might know what file it was. It was a self-extracting zip file which supposedly had Mario-Kart Super Circuit. 2 reaons why I beleive it was this file: 1) had to double-click the file about 3 times before it would actually run. 2) I right-clicked it and it didnt have any options to use winzip (ie. open with winzip, extract to...., etc.). If anyone could help me figure out if this was the file or if it was a different file, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Trotterwatch

Do you still have this file? If so just scan it with a virus checker.

Of course we could guess that it was that file (and indeed it sounds like it could have been), but that is all it would be - a guess. Really the only piece of mind you will get, is by scanning (and try using both an offline one, and an online one; like housecall).

btw - this thread should really be in Tech Talk or Way off topic, as it doesn't have anything to do with Emulation.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

Well, then would it be safe to bring back my EMu's and ROM's? Ill most likely only play SNES and N64 roms. The emulators will only be ZSNES, PJ64, and CORN .

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
it doesnt matter what files they are - if they are infected, then they are infected. end of story. the only way to be sure is to scan them, like trotterwatch said.
Doomulation said:
Just as long as you don't tell where you get the roms i suppose...
Or asking for them.
he did.
I had a virus at one point, and I think it was somehow caused by a ROM or EMU I downloaded off of Kazaa.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

READ!! In my original post, I said that it was the Mario Kart Super Circuit. Which is GBA. and I said all I was really gonna get back was N64 and SNEs roms.
I suppose it would be safe though. Considering PJ64, CORN, and ZSNES dont have viruses when downloading from their corresponding websites. And all the ROM's I have saved are all in pure form ( .n64, .v64, etc. ).

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
Vchat20 said:
READ!! In my original post, I said that it was the Mario Kart Super Circuit. Which is GBA. and I said all I was really gonna get back was N64 and SNEs roms.
I suppose it would be safe though. Considering PJ64, CORN, and ZSNES dont have viruses when downloading from their corresponding websites. And all the ROM's I have saved are all in pure form ( .n64, .v64, etc. ).

GOOD LORD! what an asshole. Here's a tip for you:
read the rules and guidelines why dont you?
http://www.emutalk.net/rules.php?s=

YOU are in the wrong. as i said, ANY talk of downloading roms is ILLEGAL. i dont care what your intention is. ITS ILLEGAL. There is no dispute.

anyway i dont care. If your not going to take our advice, then i can only say "I told you so" when you re-infect your pc because you didnt scan the files first. You're loss, not mine buddy

Last edited:
OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

You know, I really hate people e you.

Anyways, im sorry for talking about :rolleyes: ILLEGAL :rolleyes: stuff on here, but it is really the only way I can get ROM's. all the websites I try and download from all have broken links to the ROM's or have junk sites that dont have squat. And all I asked for was some simple help.

P.S. I did do a scan before I got that virus and it didnt show up with anything. I had all my virus def's up-to-date. It didnt even say anything when I ran the file. After I had all my files infected, then it started saying something.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
Vchat20 said:
You know, I really hate people e you.

Anyways, im sorry for talking about :rolleyes: ILLEGAL :rolleyes: stuff on here, but it is really the only way I can get ROM's. all the websites I try and download from all have broken links to the ROM's or have junk sites that dont have squat. And all I asked for was some simple help.

P.S. I did do a scan before I got that virus and it didnt show up with anything. I had all my virus def's up-to-date. It didnt even say anything when I ran the file. After I had all my files infected, then it started saying something.

good. im glad you hate people like me who try to adhere to the rules and do thing honestly. i couldnt be happier.

so you did a scan before you got the virus and didnt find anything eh? so what? that happens all the time, you know. poeple allways get viruses when their scanners are up to date - why do you think new updates are constantly being released?

Oh and BTW i did give you help, as i said SCAN THE FILES FIRST BEFORE YOU COPY THEM BACK TO THE PC!!!
do you consider that not to be help? oh well. As i said before - your loss, not mine.

P.S READ THE RULES

Trotterwatch

Calm down everyone. Vchat20, James was only trying to help you stay inside the rules. As it is, you are a little lucky that you haven't been warned.

If this was posted in the correct forum, then I would have closed the thread. As I can't, can you both abstain from posting any further.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

and I just scanned those files. nothing. I said the only files thatwere there are pure rom's, no zip's no no, exe, just plain .rom, .v64, .n64, etc. If you dont beleive me, check out the attached file.

Trotterwatch

In that case, this thread really does have nowhere else to go. Those files should be safe - sooooooooo, nothing else to discuss really is there?

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
Trotterwatch said:
Calm down everyone. Vchat20, James was only trying to help you stay inside the rules. As it is, you are a little lucky that you haven't been warned.

If this was posted in the correct forum, then I would have closed the thread. As I can't, can you both abstain from posting any further.

no problem.:)

ps. that wasn't so hard to scan the files, was it?

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

just one more post

would it be safe to bring those rom's back? the only emu's I would use are PJ64, CORN, and ZSNES. Would it be safe?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Asking for roms is illegal. It isn't our problem you cannot find your roms.
Go and ask anyone, but NOT here. We will not answer your questions of where to get roms.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

Doomulation said:
Asking for roms is illegal. It isn't our problem you cannot find your roms.
Go and ask anyone, but NOT here. We will not answer your questions of where to get roms.

I wasnt asking where to get ROM
s, I was just saying the only reasonwhy I get them via p2p, is cuz I cant get them on any websites.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Do not post where you get the roms, either. Do not ask us for tips or hints on finding them. Do not post anything releated to rom requests.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

I like these forums alot. But now im starting to question that, justbecause of this. All I really wanted was some help with this virus problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.