What's new

Doom 64?

Annorax

Hello I am new here and I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but does Doom 64 work for anyone? Whenever I load it, my computer slows down tremendously and then after some time the program crashes. The game screen remains dark at all times.

My system specs are: Windows 2000, 512 MB RAM, Athalon XP 1600, Hercules 3D Prophet with 64MB RAM.

I think it might be the video card. I've had compatiblity issues with the Kyro chipset that it uses before. Has anyone else had this problem?

Idonex

It doesn't work on my PC either. I have a verified clean rom but all i get is sound and no image. The browser says check the GameFAQ but there is no entry for it in there.

I have a PIII933, R8500, XP Pro.

Emu_Lover

I didn't change the settings. I just loaded the rom up as is and it worked normally. There are probably a lot of bad dumps on the internet. It took me a long time to find Doom64 rom on the net. Many broken links on rom sites. >(

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Annorax said:
Hello I am new here and I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but does Doom 64 work for anyone? Whenever I load it, my computer slows down tremendously and then after some time the program crashes. The game screen remains dark at all times.

My system specs are: Windows 2000, 512 MB RAM, Athalon XP 1600, Hercules 3D Prophet with 64MB RAM.

I think it might be the video card. I've had compatiblity issues with the Kyro chipset that it uses before. Has anyone else had this problem?

Runs fine on my P3 800 and Kyro II.

OP
A

Annorax

I already have the PC version, I just wanted the N64 version. I have been playing around with video plug-ins and I think I found one that works. But every time I exit it keeps crashing my computer.

SuperSonic2K

Lord of the Flies
runs a bit too fast here, even though i try to cap the speed by enabling vsync =\

only gripe about using the old Direct3D7 1.40 plugin is the weapon being black, but works fine on D3D6 nonetheless

try downloading from a different site instead

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Annorax said:
I already have the PC version, I just wanted the N64 version. I have been playing around with video plug-ins and I think I found one that works. But every time I exit it keeps crashing my computer.

I repeat, DOOM64 doesn't have a PC version! It's a totally unique game! It doesn't even share any maps in common with any of the other DOOMs... it's an original game! Not a port!

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Actually I thought DOOM64 was brilliant, 100% DOOM. The only thing missing was the great music :(

And sprite-based enemies? They serve a purpose. Notice that DOOM64, Duke64, and Hexen are some of the very, very few N64 games with stable, very high frame rates?

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
Tagrineth said:
Actually I thought DOOM64 was brilliant, 100% DOOM. The only thing missing was the great music :(

And sprite-based enemies? They serve a purpose. Notice that DOOM64, Duke64, and Hexen are some of the very, very few N64 games with stable, very high frame rates?
because that didnt even remotly tax the hardware...
...and that's why the were all plainly average games. they might have stable frame-rates, but looked bloody awfull on the n64, and even worse on the pc, whereas games like turok, GoldenEye and PerfectDark are ausome on the pc, while being 100% 3d.

also, being 100% doom i think was doom64's downfall - it could have been so much better on the n64. The pc verson had the same sprite-based enimies - but that was released a long time before. If you look at it now, though, when used with the jDoom mod, it is totally unbelievable. doom in full 3d with high res textures. No other version of doom can touch it, and its what Doom64 should have been.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
The thing is, even on MY PC I get some slowdowns using jDOOM (not that much, but still).

Perfect Dark and Goldeneye, and even Quake2 all had HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE frame rates on the physical N64.

And I think DOOM64 looks great... the sprite enemies are pretty hi-res, the only problem is they only have eight 'sides'. ;P

And the environment looks pretty good IMO. Lighting is great.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
Tagrineth said:
The thing is, even on MY PC I get some slowdowns using jDOOM (not that much, but still).

Perfect Dark and Goldeneye, and even Quake2 all had HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE frame rates on the physical N64.

And I think DOOM64 looks great... the sprite enemies are pretty hi-res, the only problem is they only have eight 'sides'. ;P

And the environment looks pretty good IMO. Lighting is great.
yeah the environments were pretty good - much better than the original doom's, but the music and sprites suck.
jdoom more than acceptable on my system, just a shame Tenabree isn't (but thats a whole different beast)

i have the pal version of pd on my real n64, and framerates seemed pretty good from what i remember -usual slowdown in heavy action buy other than that very stable.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
PAL version also has a few extra seconds to render. PAL runs at 50Hz, NTSC at 59.96, so the NTSC version probably has a slightly higher chance of stalling. I dunno, though.

All I know is my PD rarely sustains over 25 or so FPS....

DOOM64 used sprite enemies for two reasons... 1, good environments, 2, frame rate. :)