What's new

evoodoo..

dragon hunter

i just found out how i could use evoodoo to use the glide plugin as i dont have a voodoo video card....
i downloaded evoodoo v2.0.4 but there aren't any help files included...
so how should i use it with pj64 or anything for that matter??

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
If you don't have a 3dfx video card, STAY AWAY FROM GLIDE unless you want a lot of headaches. Or unless you have no other choice.

Stick with Direct3D for best compatibility or OpenGL for best speed (most of the time).

OP
D

dragon hunter

thanks for the guidance.....
but will using glide help me in the graphics section at all??
because i can take a headache if it improve the quality..

zorbid

Since eVoodoo has been designed/optimised to run with glide64, It works very well.

Glide64+eVoodoo had very good user 'reviews' before PJ64 1.5 was out, because it is fast and it is compatible wth more video cards than Jabo's D3D.dll 1.4. But Jabo's D3D 1.5 is faster and more compatible than 1.4 (and better in a lot of other aspects), so I'm not sure that you'll win anything in using glide64.

Copy glide2x.dll and glide3x.dll in your windows\system folder if you are using Win9x, and in the windows\system32 one if you are under NT/2k/XP.

Another option is to put the files in the main PJ directory (in fact glide3x is the only one needed to run glide64, (glide2x is usefull for UHLE). putting them in the win\sys folder makes them available to any program that uses glide (older games, and so on...).

Then you can configure the wrapper with the config tool packed up with the dlls (eConfig, or something like that). Don't check 'alternate Z buffer, it causes troubles.

BTW, emutalk hosts the official eVoodoo forum. hum ;)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
dragon hunter said:
thanks for the guidance.....
but will using glide help me in the graphics section at all??
because i can take a headache if it improve the quality..

Absolutely not. GLide is extremely fast, but it is specifically tailored to the limitations of Voodoo Graphics, Voodoo2, and Voodoo3. Thus using a GLide wrapper you'd not only slow your output down, you'd also restrict your video quality, to an extent. For example, using GLide64 I do notice some odd problems in some screens in F-Zero X - for example the title screen looks badly scaled to 256x256 (the maximum GLide texture resolution) when it should be around 320x240.

A GLide wrapper on a different card will almost guaranteed run far slower than a standard Direct3D or OpenGL renderer... the only exceptions being if the D3D/OGL renderers suck :) Which I'm sure isn't the case for all the standard plugins...