What's new

will this laptop work with dolphin

BomarJr

heyo, im getting a laptop soon and i was wondering if this particular one:
HP dv6t Laptop,
Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz)
2MB L2 cache
800MHz front side bus
4GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3410
would it handle dolphin well? the games im looking to run are (SPECIFICALLY) Zelda Wind Waker/TP(GC version), & SSBB. i know this rig isn't that powerful, but its one of the few i can afford @ the moment. But if there's a better laptop in the sub-$900 range that has blu-ray that any of you find or know about, send me a link. thanks.
=]

Last edited:
That laptop should work decently for you with the dual core option enabled, although Zelda TP will probably be a bit slow. I'm getting 15-20 fps outdoors and almost full speed indoors in Zelda WW on a single core AMD Athlon 64 @2.4GHz, so you should see better than that in atleast that game.

OP
B

BomarJr

thnx for the reply ;). do you recommend another laptop that is better under 900USD?

X-Fi6

thnx for the reply ;). do you recommend another laptop that is better under 900USD?
If you are happy with a 16" display, this is the best I could find on Newegg at least:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114719

A little smaller (15.6"):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115675

And even smaller (14"):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117957

Compare those with the one you picked out. Each of the three I listed above has a flaw to it:
  • The 16" one has the best graphics device (a GeForce 230M with 1gb of GDDR3) but it only supports RAM clocked at 800MHz
  • The 15.6" one only has a GeForce 130M with 1GB DDR2, but it supports DDR3-1066
  • The 14" one has a GeForce 210M with only 256MB of memory, but it supports DDR3 1066

Last edited:

jessman(reborn)

EmuTalk's Own L'istigatore
My specs are just a bit lower, yet I get full speed at almost all times in Smash Bros. Melee. I cannot stress enough that you should make SURE that it has a 64-bit version of Windows on it. My pc is 64-bit, but the people who built it installed a 32-bit OS and now that I've upgraded it my performance literally skyrocketed!

X-Fi6

My specs are just a bit lower, yet I get full speed at almost all times in Smash Bros. Melee. I cannot stress enough that you should make SURE that it has a 64-bit version of Windows on it. My pc is 64-bit, but the people who built it installed a 32-bit OS and now that I've upgraded it my performance literally skyrocketed!
Yeah, all the laptops I listed come with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It would be silly to ship 32-bit Windows on a computer with any more than 3gb.

OP
B

BomarJr

oh, ok. thanks because i was looking @ an HP Mini 311 (yes...a netbook) and it has a lot for the price and the portability is perfect and as far as i know, the atom doesn't support x64bit amirite? but im still interested...would dolphin run at any ok speeds on that or should i just forget about it?

HyperIris

oh, ok. thanks because i was looking @ an HP Mini 311 (yes...a netbook) and it has a lot for the price and the portability is perfect and as far as i know, the atom doesn't support x64bit amirite? but im still interested...would dolphin run at any ok speeds on that or should i just forget about it?

Wake up !

Toasty

Sony battery
On a more informative note...
Some Atoms are 64-bit and others aren't. Check this out to see if the one you're looking at is or isn't. (The ones that support Intel 64 are 64-bit.) In any event though, Atoms are designed for low power consumption and low heat production - not performance. An Atom processor will not give you good performance with Dolphin. N64 emulation is probably the best you can expect from an Atom.

OP
B

BomarJr

hey, i actually decided on my new laptop and got it! i just got cash rebate from costco for 154 bux, and got myself an HP dv6 series. same specs, but came with a blu-ray drive and an upgraded ATI Mobility Radion and 64 bit windows 7. thanks tho for the suggestions and help. :D ive given the laptops posted my recommendation to my family and my sister bought herself the sony, so thanks again

Last edited: