What's new

Warning, the default self mod code handling for Zelda OOT appears wrong! (read below)

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
All of a sudden, I couldn't go any further than Link's tree house in the Kokiri forest.

I was already past this point, but decided to start over.

The game would crash any time I attempted to leave Link's tree house!

I was thinking the game crashes was because of an issue with the anti-aliasing and/or anisotropic filtering settings and Nvidia control panel, because I also saw the Nvidia tray app crash once. (Windows XP claming it encountered a problem and needs to close)

But, when I used the same settings and this time kept it to windowed mode and attempted to leave Link's tree house, PJ64 displayed "Error Executing from non-mapped space".
(or similar)

It was fine after changing the self modifying code handling method to "Protect Memory".

Never saw the game crash again. That was last night.

It looks like "Check Memory Advance" isn't sufficient.

Note that I was using a save state and found out that the save state is fine.

It looks like that without "Protect Memory", that the game contents in memory will be overwritten when you use a save state.

This is with PJ64 1.6.

Last edited:

Allnatural

I've always used Change Memory and Cache to circumvent a similar crash in the Lost Woods. Unlike Protect Memory, it doesn't seem to effect the framerate at all, so I left it. I haven't tried playing the game start to finish though.

The game seems to crash at different points for different people. Or not at all. Strange.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
LOL, I just noticed posts from 2002 about the same thing.

Oh BTW, this is on my old schooler, a Barton 3000+ AQZFA and Asus A7N8X-X.

With a GeForce 7600 GS AGP 256 MB. ;)

Because I'm still testing the system in my sig.

Was required to reseat the heatsink a gazillion times! :(

So far, Prime95 looking good. ;)

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
" It looks like that without "Protect Memory", that the game contents in memory will be overwritten when you use a save state."

Thats how most emulators work >.> battery data is saved and restored with a state.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
" It looks like that without "Protect Memory", that the game contents in memory will be overwritten when you use a save state."

Thats how most emulators work >.> battery data is saved and restored with a state.

Apparently, it was overwriting parts that it wasn't supposed to.