What's new

Upgrade XP x32 to x64 without full format/resintall?

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I couldn't find a definitive answer, but did note Vista users can upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without a full reinstall according to a couple sites.

So before I begin, Can XP Pro upgrade from x32 to x64?

I know this may not be best path as cleaner is better I'm sure, but I'm looking for the quick fix for now. If it simply can't be done then so be it.

Thanks

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
AFAIK is impossible to upgrade both from Vista x86 and XP x86 to Vista x64. Also the Vista upgrade process actually take HOURS compared to a 20-25 Vista clean install, so it won't be a quick fix. So I recommend you to better make a clean install, better if you can get a Vista SP1 disc, otherwise install it and the patch it with SP1

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Actually though my upgrade path will just be from XP Pro 32 bit version to XP Pro 64 bit version, no Vista in my equation.

Anyway I guess I'll just make sure I have a good snapshot and go for it. worse case is I will be installing fresh. no biggie.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
not likely, you will still end up with a crap load of 32bit dll's in the system32( which is for 64bit dll's on XP64) when they should be in Syswow64(which is for 32bit dll's on XP64)

not to mention that program files on XP64 is also seperated to x86 and X86-64 folders named as Program Files(x86) and Program Files respectively