What's new

Turbo Controls

Iconoclast

[Sorry to cut of an important discussion on improving Rice's Video Plugin, but serves you right for using the Forums Index method. :p I wonder what that link at the top that says "New Posts" does....]

I remember, I had one of those MadCat N64 controllers, and for challenges like that Mary Canary race in Banjo-Tooie, where you had to press A as fast as you can, I could just set A to turbo, hold down A, and watch that clockwork mouse fly right past her. :D Those exciting days of cheating are over, as now, these controllers are so overused, the control sticks are insensitive and force Banjo to move in the wrong direction.

So, my question is, on N-Rage's DirectInput (possible on other input plugins?), how can I emulate this awesome feature?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
In N-Rage's plugin, goto Modifiers. Click "New Modifier." Select the new Modifier and click Assign Mod. Select your button for the modifier. Select "Mod Type" to "Macro."
Check the button(s) you want to rapid Fire.
Hit the Rapid Fire button. Now you're set. Hit "Apply changes" and "Save."
But there's more you can do. You can select "Toggle" if you want the button to toggle Rapid Fire (instead of holding it down). You can also tick "Slow Rapid Fire," which will slow down how fast the Rapid Fire is toggled. Some games don't like too fast Rapid Fire (eg Paper Mario).

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Yeah, I figured it might have something to do with that. In fact, that's what I actually originally tried. This time, I tried what you said again, only a little longer, and I found out that the turbo/rapid fire works when I assign this turbo fire modifier to two buttons at once, but not a single button. For example, pressing the A button. It has no effect on the A button unless I also assign it to the B button at the same time, where I can tell it works since both buttons are being rapidly pressed at the same time.

Edit: Wtf...now that I try it with the S, C or even Q key on my keyboard, NOW it's working. I don't understand what it could've been...thanks a bunch, though! Wouldn't have found it out by myself if you hadn't confirmed I was on the right track.

Btw, while I'm at it, how can I stop N-Rage's from automatically locking my mouse on ROM start? It gets very annoying, and even when I press Tab, sometimes it works, sometimes not. How come this doesn't happen to anybody else?

Edited again: It seems that when I set my jump key to Q, then Q no longer works, but A does. ???

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Edited again: It seems that when I set my jump key to Q, then Q no longer works, but A does. ???

Just make sure you don't mix up the macros and game mapped buttons.
As for the mouse, I don't know. To my knowledge, I haven't experienced such an issue. You could try 2.0 if you're not using it, or 1.8x if you are.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Hey, Doomulation, I just figured it out.

If you are using your mouse in any of the controls, even if its in a seperate config under the Config group in plugin configuration from the one you're using, the plugin automatically locks your mouse each time on ROM start. Just thought you might like to know that for future reference.