What's new

Time to update

tkf

Isn't it always time to update if you are running Windows?
I thought that's why it came with that nasty Windows Update taskbar icon that kindly and gently SHOVES THE PATCHES DOWN YOUR THROAT. And then it forces you to reboot.

Ah, but I never had any major problems when I used to run Windows daily, I just wanted to write what I think about Windows Update.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I agree. You have to download patches every single day if you want to stay update. Bah. It's never going to end, so why bother? I haven't had so much trouble with that anyway, being careful and having a firewall and anti-virus program.

But I just can't see how there can be so many security holes? Wouldn't microsoft have patched them all up by now?

2fast4u

Security experts said one of the weaknesses in Windows disclosed yesterday could be used to spread a computer virus. The flaw involves the "server message block" service in every version of Windows that allows users to share files on a network. Attackers could potentially exploit the weakness over the Internet if computer users fail to turn on their computer's firewall. Hackers could also exploit the flaw by tricking a user into clicking on a specially crafted Web link in an e-mail.

i would say those are non-issues to users who have a remote sense of computer security, which i hope applies to most board members. however the average computer users are potentially at risk there without a doubt.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
tkf said:
Isn't it always time to update if you are running Windows?
I thought that's why it came with that nasty Windows Update taskbar icon that kindly and gently SHOVES THE PATCHES DOWN YOUR THROAT. And then it forces you to reboot.

You know you can turn that off right? :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
2fast4u said:
i would say those are non-issues to users who have a remote sense of computer security, which i hope applies to most board members. however the average computer users are potentially at risk there without a doubt.
It has always been like so. Clicking on some stupid faked link is their problem. Everyone who is smart enuf don't do that. It's always going to be that risk, I wager...

You know you can turn that off right? :p
You know for the hell of it... if you don't use the automatic, you need to download them manually, and whatever the choice, you need to reboot your stupid computer before they take effect...

Although I never use windows update so I don't know if it can be avoided... but for automatic updates, it's not possible. The stupid dialog keeps popping up until you restart. You can't even terminate the process as it will restart. Gah, damn you ms!

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
You know for the hell of it... if you don't use the automatic, you need to download them manually, and whatever the choice, you need to reboot your stupid computer before they take effect...

Yes but Windows does not force them down your throat nor does it restart your computer, you have a choice over what to do after the install of the patches.

smcd

You can turn off the auto-updates and just manually check the windows update site periodically. That's what I do, except for mom's PC - i make it bug her since i'm not there to pick up the slack.

Shpongled

News Junkie
On a slightly security-sided note, have you guys ever heard of AVG Anti-Virus? I uninstalled my Norton today, installed AVG and it found a trojan that Norton never found... By the way, it's free for personal -- non-commercial use.

Shpongled

News Junkie
sethmcdoogle said:

Yah, actually I read that news article, and that's how I discovered AVG. I've had an expired subscription for like 4 months, and finding AVG was a breath of fresh air.

The interface is slightly ugly compared to the nice Norton-yellow, but it's free and seems to work, so bye-bye Norton. Who knows how much money I've "wasted" for the Norton one-year subscriptions.

I like all this new alternative software that there is... Trillian, Firefox, AVG... Now I just gotta get into Thunderbird and find some more gems.

rcgamer

the old guy
i try to advertise avg as much as possible on support type forums. i think its great. sygate personal firewall is another great steal.

Shpongled

News Junkie
So you guys turn off the built-in SP2 Firewall and use Sygate? I'm downloading it now. Any idea why it's better? Thanks for the info!

JinXD

I've used sygate ever since Zonealarm started being wierd with eMule (when I used the POS). Even having Zonealarm installed but disabled stopped eMule!!

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Shpongled said:
So you guys turn off the built-in SP2 Firewall and use Sygate? I'm downloading it now. Any idea why it's better? Thanks for the info!

Windows firewall is terrible. I only filters incomming traffic, but not outgoing traffic. Sure this protects you against hackers and other outside threats, but what if you manage to contract a trojan virus, then all your personal info can be sent out to the hacker without windows firewall blocking it.

rcgamer

the old guy
you can also block any ip you want by putting it in the blocklist. it will also tell you if a program has changed since the last time it tried to connect (wich could mean a trojan if you hadnt updated the file)

tkf

vampireuk said:
Yes but Windows does not force them down your throat nor does it restart your computer, you have a choice over what to do after the install of the patches.

No, actually after installing the patches a window comes up every minute to remind you that you really, really, really need to reboot, taking focus away from whatever you are trying to do. It's very annoying.

WhiteX

I am trying to use smth that does not take much of processor time, for the sake of gaming, any thoughts?