What's new

The EU tightens its grip.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Seems the UK just adopted the EUCD, which is basically the EU's version of the DMCA.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/4645.cfm

I wouldn't worry though, four score and six years later, the DMCA has had no impact on anything I do thus far. And trust me when I say I do a lot of things that the DMCA wouldn't like :p

IMO laws like these are just legislative fads that will dissapear once they are truely challenged. I think that the only reason they exist is simply because 99% of everybody you run across isn't even aware of their existence, because they haven't been affected by it either.

Last edited:

blizz

2fast4u said:
lmao, low blow :D

RIAA home searches begin 12/24/03. will j00 be ready?

erm, the RIAA is american :p

the EU equivalents will be doing it, if the RIAA do it, it'll be an own goal on so many levels not least for the image of america in europe.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, the DMCA has already been losing its grip here. Lexmark lost their case against the generic printer cartridge manufacturers. The copyright office also recently legalized cracks for abandonware.

The only things that are left widely unresolved which most people complain about is the DVD protections and console mod chips.

However, back in may, techtv aired an entire "screensavers" episode about modding an xbox, to include how to actually do the modding, andthey even mentioned that its possible to copy the xbox games to the hard disk by just renting them, and they didn't catch a single bit of flack from neither the government nor microsoft.

So far as importing foreign DVDs and skipping DVD commercials, to include copying DVDs (dvdxcopy): people do this all the time, and there hasn't been one incident of this being fought in court. I am guessing that the DMCA is aimed at preventing people from doing this as a commercial business, but then again, you can buy dvd xcopy at any software store.

EDIT: Seems that a company called convertlit has moved out of the UK for concerns of the EUCD: http://convertlit.com/legal.php

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
aprentice said:
Your point was to make an anti-american comment? That IS pretty low...

I wouldn't think anything about it. When you look at the whole thing abroad, America has it far better off in terms of free speech than most. The main thing is that you just hear about it more when things like this happen in the states.

Just a couple examples of this:

CDR tax in canada
"Politicaly Correct" censorship in germany

And thats not even the worst of it.

Last edited:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
And here comes Alpha once again with his America the great speech. :rolleyes:

Even though nothing bad was said about his country he comes in again with his silly bullshit :p

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
vampireuk said:
And here comes Alpha once again with his America the great speech. :rolleyes:

Even though nothing bad was said about his country he comes in again with his silly bullshit :p

Well, the truth can be a difficult thing to hide :p And besides, it sets you free :D

2fast4u

aprentice said:
Your point was to make an anti-american comment? That IS pretty low...

well, the riaa is american. got anything to add to that? anti-american comment my ass. :p

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
vampireuk said:
You have a small penis

oh oh! touche :D

Well, things could be worse...appearances for example :D But I suggest we cast those things aside for this discussion.