What's new

Static Recompiler option

Poobah

I know there isn't a chance of this, but does anyone else think that 1964 should have a Static Recompiler option available in the Core drop-down box? I guess it'd take a while to implement, but it'd allow most computer users to experience N64 emulation at good performance.

olivieryuyu

Allnatural said:

hmm i think it's possible but with a new emulator, not 1964. Let' s talk about Corn that was using this method. it was a good experiment of this method and it works very well. Afaik the author gave up his baby due to a leak of his current beta (v0.3)

it's clearly possible to do a static recompiler for N64 emulators but there 'll be some issues that could be impossible to solve.

Yet 1964 is not designed for such a kind of core emulation method.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Believe it or not in some cases 1964's core is faster than Corns... the thing that slows the emulation process down is the video/sound plugins.

Corn is a giant hack and if you're still using a pc thats so slow it can't run 1964 you need to upgrade. From your profile i'd say that isn't the case.. you'd gain nothing from static recompiler

Now what i'd love to see is Static recompiler in a playstation 2 emu ;) even if it is a hack.. think of the results

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
If you had bothered to read my post I said that graphics plugins slow the emulation process down if you were replying to me saying 1964 is faster, and I am sure I got the info from Schibo, although I could be wrong he may have said it "may" be faster... regardless... who in their right mind uses a P2 NOW?

What uses the CPU? Gfx. 1964's core is very efficient.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
What's your point? this thread was a request for a feature in 1964 not Corn.

The fact of the matter is we've already nailed down that it would do more harm than good.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I wouldn't mind having that option in the next version selected for a limited amount of games, for a speed increase. Probably won't be compatible with Rare games.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I don't see the point... 1964 has the 32bit core which a lot of rareware games work fine in, the emulator runs very fast already.. why does it need a static recompiler core?

Last edited:

knowitman

Believe it or not there are still a few people that use PIIs and PIIIs and graphics cards that aren't top of the line. They might want games to run full speed.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Heh, how would a static recompiler improve systems with crap video cards? last I checked the job of the video plugin was not the job of the emulator, so... P3 or athlon xp if i had a on board card emulation wouldn't be very good.

1964 runs ok on systems about 500mhz, the 32bit core and the high CF are the job.. you can only go so far with core speed... you seem to be forgetting the graphics and sound plugins need cpu power too... to make a static recompiler work well you'd need everything to be working that way.

Your argument is flawed anyway, people with PIIs might want to play doom3... but they can't... ;)

I'd seriously rather have 1964 run DK64 without any feck abouts with CF's.

Last edited:
OP
Poobah

Poobah

1964 and all emulators besides Corn run absolutely crap on a PIII 450 machine with integrated (ie crap) graphics.

But if you run a game in Corn on that machine, it runs at a perfect smooth framerate.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Corn is an entirely different class of emulator;

The way I see it there is two classes of emulators, Emulators that do everything themselves.. ie the video, sound.. input etc... on their own, this is like Gens or Kega Fusion, don't need plugins. This is what corn is like.

The other kind if emulators that rely on plugins or external dlls if you like to do certain tasks like video, sound whatnot, this is what 1964 and Project64 is like.

So in essence corn's uber fastness is extremely difficult to achieve because even if the core is a static recompiler, the video plugin and sound will not be;

So people stop assuming that a static recompiler will work so darn well... It is NOT 1964's fault if video, sound or input is slow.. END OF STORY.

Static recompilers are extremely limited anyway, hence why Corns compatibilty is so low. It would do more harm than good.

tomman

well, i was far from here in the last months, so it's time to put my word here.

Corn is the only emulator that most users can run, but because it emulates everyrhing. 1964 and PJ64 does not, they only emulates the core. It's like a made-in-china N64 versus a board without the video and audio hardware. Why not the plugins authors made a plugin for low end users? Because they have hi-end hardware, and the people that they know uses also good hardware.

Look at me, stuck with a Celeron 700 (not even a PIII), with a crappy integrated SiS 630, NOT SUITABLE FOR 3D GAMING OF ANY TYPE, and running Mario very welll (and with 90 stars and no cheats), and cannot play another game! Why???? because "you can buy a new PC" with "virtual ca$h".

I REALLY want a new PC, but i can't afford it. So for all my gaming issues, i must depends on the good will of the programmers.

I send this call to plugin coders, rather than emulator coders: PLEASE remember that not everyone on this earth comes to this world with a GeForce/Radeon under the arm!

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
At least you know the difference between 1964 and the video plugins, about time someone did :D

Such a request for more speed for video must go under the plugins section.

Thanks for re-enforcing what I said btw [not being sarcastic]

Last edited:

Remote

I'm pretty sure that no one of the authors coded the n64 emus avalible atm with high end computers.. probaly most on low/mid end ones... please do correct me if I'm wrong?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
you can always try Glide64+evoodoo in the mean time, I think it is the best for on-board cards at the moment, you can find both of these things here at emutalk.