What's new

Sound Card Poll

Does your card have an SPU and support Hardware Mixing

• Total voters

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Sound Card or Sound Chip?

do you have a sound card or a sound chip?

im running an Sb Live 5.1 DE-SE

(this means i have an spu capable of hardware mixing.)

i want to get a consensus to see what cards people have... me and emulord are trying to beg Jabo to make his plugin support both hardware mixing and software mixing... ... im hoping that this poll indicates that more people have add in cards with built on SPU's then onboard soundchips

ok to do this poll you need to know what kind of card you have so heres a list

Sound cards with onboard spu processors (also known as EMU10k1/EMU10k2 when thinking creative and CMxxxxx then thinking Cmedia)
Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Creative SoundBlaster Live Platinum
Creative SoundBlaster Fatality
Creative Audigy
Creative Audigy 2 ZS, LZ, LS (Platinum and Gamer Editions included)
Creative Audigy 4
Creative XiFi Platinum, Gamer and Professional

any Auzentec Audio card based of the Cmedia codec

*note it is not clear whether all Cmedia boards have an SPU*

Sound Cards that do not have onboard spu processors
Creative SoundBlaster Live 24bit
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Value (including Audigy 2/3/4 Value editions)
Creative XiFi Value
Realtek AC97 (onboard)
Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
Analogue Digital SoundMAX (onboard)
Intel HD Audio (onboard)

codecs which are unknown to have oncard spu's
Nforce SoundStorm (has a dolby processing chip but otherwise unknown..) its likely in the does not list as its based on AC97

Last edited:
OP
squall_leonhart

squall_leonhart

Sound cards with onboard spu processors (also known as EMU10k1/EMU10k2 when thinking creative and CMxxxxx then thinking Cmedia)
Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Creative SoundBlaster Live Platinum
Creative SoundBlaster Fatality
Creative Audigy
Creative Audigy 2 ZS, LZ, LS (Platinum and Gamer Editions included)
Creative Audigy 4
Creative XiFi Platinum, Gamer and Professional

OP
squall_leonhart

squall_leonhart

Hardware mixing is better for Dolby Decoding and provides higher quality audio when configured correctly.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Hardware mixing is better for Dolby Decoding and provides higher quality audio when configured correctly.

does it really though?
we have 2 options at this point

1) go back to software only

2) add an advanced control (hidden via app option) to enable hardware mixing. default to software mixing so it works for everyone OOTB

if you want 2), you need to make a good case to Jabo that the advantages of hardware vs software on some systems outweighs the hassle of supporting another control (years of experience has taught us that we do not like any extra controls!).

Update: Jabo has just decided to do 2). good.
http://www.pj64-emu.com/beta-forum/func,view/catid,21/id,3444/#msg5123
keep this on beta forum please squall_leonhart :)

Last edited:
OP
squall_leonhart

squall_leonhart

does it really though?
we have 2 options at this point

1) go back to software only

2) add an advanced control (hidden via app option) to enable hardware mixing. default to software mixing so it works for everyone OOTB

if you want 2), you need to make a good case to Jabo that the advantages of hardware vs software on some systems outweighs the hassle of supporting another control (years of experience has taught us that we do not like any extra controls!).

Update: Jabo has just decided to do 2). good.
http://www.pj64-emu.com/beta-forum/func,view/catid,21/id,3444/#msg5123
keep this on beta forum please squall_leonhart :)

tbh i just wanted to see what everyones sound chips were to find out if enough people could benefit from it.

sound cards with SPU's do not seem to have the issues that those without have.. so who knows... ya know :p

Jabo's Dx1.6 plugin couldn't forward DPL audio to a reciever because the software mixer can't render the streams the way its needed to... and as was said by certain people the new plugin can allow this

but im glad Jabo is going to try this :)

alright peoples keep posting your sound cards, i still wanna know what everyone has!

Smiff

Emutalk Member
alright sorry, it was a smart move of you to actually do a survey, most people just whine and don't bother making the effort to gather the info.
hopefully we will have best of both worlds.. except for me, who has to support/document another option :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Some cards have the ability to decode popular 5.1 formats, like Dolby, which would give 5.1 sound to speaker systems that supports it...
If the sound card handled the sound data, then we'd get 5.1 plus any extra effects that the sound card might do... like X-Fi's sound blasters - they have special "enhancements," but I don't know if you would get them with software mixing?
Anyway, since I do have an X-Fi Sound Blaster, I guess that's hardware for me.

Last edited:
OP
squall_leonhart

squall_leonhart

the master, the sound provider on intel 945gm's is either AC97 or Intel HD... im pretty sure its just standard Realtek AC97 which does not have its own SPU

the master 123

The device name(according to direct x) is sigmatel audio. and according to the test result my card doesn't support hardware, so it must be software based.