What's new

Registry help

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
On my Asus EEE PC I have a key in the registry that I want to change the default value for. The problem is that I can change this key and the setting works great, but after rebooting it gets switched back to the default value. I presume the driver that this key hive is meant for most likely has default settings possibly and that is what changes it back? It's a binary key and set to "00 00 00 00" (off) by default and I want it to start as "01 00 00 00" (on) at boot time. The setting controls this systems ability to take larger resolutions and force them to fit into the EEE's 800x480 view port area. So the problem with it being at the default setting at boot is if I leave the machine in 800x600 mode when shutting down when I start back up I'm still at 800x600, but instead of seeing the whole screen at once you have to scroll right and down. To get the scaling to do it's "fit" mode I have to then change resolution to something and back again. Obviously a tad annoying.

Now I have made a .REG file with the change I need to take place and I have it set up to run automatically on login works fine, but again this only applies the proper setting I need at boot. Switching resolutions is still needed. I really want the key to already be changed by login time in the hopes that the set startup resolution will then already be scaled.

Anyone know a way that maybe I can force this change to take place during boot?

Maybe even some method to see at what point during boot it changes or how to locate what is changing it and maybe change the default there? (I assume maybe it's cached somewhere else or the driver holds this setting?)

The key itself, if it will help

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ialm\Device0\Display1_DownScalingEnabled

This key does appear in several places in the registry (this one is the main one) and I have changed it at all occurrences and those ones stay with my setting this one does not. (I was hoping one of them is read to feed this key possibly at boot or something?).

Any help or insight is appreciated.