What's new

question about files

zorbid

It depends, some are in start-->programs-->"start/launch/whatever..."

The rest is in the register: Start-->run-->"regedit.exe"
hkey_local_machine/-->software-->microsoft-->windows-->current_version-->Run (Some malicious programs are sometimes hidden in 'RunOnce' and 'RunOneEx'. If you changed your config and you choose to restart later, there may be some good stuf in these too, so reboot your before you check them.)

Search in hkey_local_user and hkey_users-->default too.

Right click the item you want to remove, and choose delete. If you don't know if a key is usefull, right click and edit (modify?) it, and add rem and a space at the begining, the line will be ignored by windows, and you can still re-enable it if needed.

Allnatural

Get StartupCPL. Better than msconfig, and can be used on all Windows OS's.:)

It's always best to check the programs themselves first though. Most programs will have a setting to disable automatic startup.

OP
Tri-Force

Tri-Force

Philosopher Warrior
and what about the crap that is running when i restart my computer like rundll32 and crap like that?

iq_132

Banned
Poke around the registry. Somewhere in the windows settings, here's a string(?) called run, a lot of stuff, auto runs from there.

You can turn that audio one off manually, look in the control panel under sounds. (You have windows98).
Go to the display properties to turn off that ati icon.
Go to the Aim preferences to turn that off. (or use trillian :inlove:

OP
Tri-Force

Tri-Force

Philosopher Warrior
no i'm using ME but i took care of the major slow down useless crap already. but thaks

Vchat20

Well, i dont have rundll running when i start up my PC. As a matter of fact i dont need it running at all, but i do need to keep it. One time i was running nothing but explorer (Close Program dialog). Really helped with playing games.