What's new

Policy Editor for Windows XP

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
Okay, I need to install a new PC for someone in a couple of days, with Windows XP Pro on it.

Now, these people have kids, and those kids don't have to have all rights available. So instead of making them administrator, I could make them restricted user. And the problems arise. For example, if one would want to burn a CD, it wouldn't work (no burn rights or some crap).

So anyways, in Windows 98, you could install POLEDIT (Policy Editor) and you could give/revoke all kinds of rights for users.

While searching Google, the only editor for WinXP I found is the Group Policy Editor. Which plainly sucks, because you can only set stupid and worthless stuff like "this user's start menu will always be 'classic'" or "this user's start menu is always locked".

I need something real where I can say "user can install this and that" or "user can access this and that" and "user cannot edit registry" or stuff like that.

Anyone know how, or can point me to a tutorial on how to do so?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Then you'll need a 3rd party software which is for XP i suppose :plain:
I know my prevoius school used a software like this, although i can't remember the name. But they didn't have xp then, lol. That was back in when i went the 7th grade or somthin'. That's...about 5 years back i think.

OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
Found a solution :)

It's called '1st Security Agent' and can be downloaded from http://www.softheap.com/newadmin.html .

Basically it gives me all the options the 'old' POLEDIT gave me, and then some, set up to whichever Windows version you use.

Pretty cool. Thanks anyway guys!