What's new

Ocarina Of Time lag

Nintendude

I'm such a newbie...
Alright.

See, Ocarina Of Time has been lagging ALOT when I'm in the overworld (Hyrule Field, Death Mountain, Lake Hylia..etc) and it's extremely annoying. This is unfortunate since I'm able to run it on other low-graded emulators such as Nemu64 and Mupen64 without any problems at all. The VI/s are ranging from 40's to 50's which is pretty slow.

It only seems to be Ocarina of time to be slow, as I'm able to run Majoras Mask (Which runs flawlessly btw) and other ROMS greatly. So help, please?

F

Fanatic 64

What are your computer specifications (processor, graphics card, RAM)?

death--droid

I'm actually have the same sort of problem, haven't worked out why it does it but it seems to lag for no reason at all. And cant say its my computer as it is fairly high-end.

death--droid

Project 64 2.1, and of course running my version of Rice Video (Dont think its video plugin related either :\ i should test it in project 64 1.6) and using Jabos audio plugin with NRage Input Plugin

OP
Nintendude

Nintendude

I'm such a newbie...
Project64 2.1, with all the default plugins. All the other ROMS I've played with default plugins seem to work without any problems at all. It's only OOT that's lagging

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

V1del

Why do you consider mupen and others as low graded? :huh: Whatever, try to disable Fixed Audio Timing in the per rom settings

OP
Nintendude

Nintendude

I'm such a newbie...
Why do you consider mupen and others as low graded? :huh: Whatever, try to disable Fixed Audio Timing in the per rom settings

They're not as popular as PJ64 or 1964 and not a lot of games are compatible with them. And I disabled Fixed Audio Timing but it still lags (Actually, it is running slightly slower than before) It can't be my computer since I am able to play other games flawlessly without any lag at all. Why is this?

While in a dungeon or something similar to that (Towns) it runs pretty fast. It only lags in big wide areas.

Last edited:

AIO

They're not as popular as PJ64 or 1964 and not a lot of games are compatible with them.
Popularity doesn't really matter. For instance, the most common n64 emulator used for netplay is PJ64k which was made like 10 years ago. And people still insist on using it, despite whining about how bad it is.

Anyway, Mupen64 is actually a good emulator. For PJ64 2.1, I suggest you click on options, then enable that option called "Show CPU usage". This will let you know what the problem is. Report back what the numbers say.

Also what plugins are you using?

AIO

It was actually made 13 years ago.
Rofl even worse! I'm prolly going to rage at the next person I see, who claims that n64 emulator & plugins haven't improved in years, while they still continue to use outdated software.

But yeah, Mupen64 should work good for the games it supports.
Agreed! I'd say it runs popular titles better than PJ64 or 1964 in most cases. The main downside imo is that its recompiler is slower than PJ64 and 1964.

OP
Nintendude

Nintendude

I'm such a newbie...
Popularity doesn't really matter. For instance, the most common n64 emulator used for netplay is PJ64k which was made like 10 years ago. And people still insist on using it, despite whining about how bad it is.

Anyway, Mupen64 is actually a good emulator. For PJ64 2.1, I suggest you click on options, then enable that option called "Show CPU usage". This will let you know what the problem is. Report back what the numbers say.

Also what plugins are you using?

All the default plugins (Jabo's Plugins)

Here are the numbers:

r4300i: 40 - 60% GFX:25% Aiist: 20% Idle: 0 - 30%

I usually close all programs when using PJ64. But, according to the numbers, that ain't working.......:huh:

Last edited:

AIO

Ok, judging by your results, I assume you have sync audio on? Try turning that off, for jabo's sound. Otherwise it looks like you're using RSP interpreter.

Also that r4300i is too high. What's your cpu's specs btw? Just so I can get a comparison. Also if you don't mind, it would be convenient if you uploaded a savestate of the slow part of the game.

Since you claim mupen64 is able to run at full speed, then I suspect it's just your emulator settings. The VI/s will always be bad if you have fixed audio timing and sync audio enabled.

OP
Nintendude

Nintendude

I'm such a newbie...
I've turned off sync game audio and the game sped up! Although I couldn't find the option for fixed audio timing. (Again, I'm using Jabo's audio plugin)

The game is a lot more playable now, occasional slow downs but nothing to go crazy on. I would upload a savestate if I knew how to...

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this! :happy:

AIO

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this! :happy:
Good :drool: ! Np.

I've turned off sync game audio and the game sped up! Although I couldn't find the option for fixed audio timing. (Again, I'm using Jabo's audio plugin)
I can understand your confusion. The emulator menu itself has the fixed audio timing and sync audio. In the rom browser, right click on the game you want to configure (zelda oot in this case), and you will see those 2 options. Uncheck both of them.

The game is a lot more playable now, occasional slow downs but nothing to go crazy on. I would upload a savestate if I knew how to...
I bet you can reduce the slow downs even further. For uploading a savestate, you just find your save folder and upload it to a site like mediafire. Not necessary now that you fixed your problem. It will be useful in the future though :satisfied .