What's new

noob trying to work chankast, help

lance 321

here is my problem i found this in the f.a.q.

Q: Every time I try to run a game Chankast recognizes it as a music CD or thinks that there isn't a CD in the drive, why?
A: This can be caused by the following things:

1: You're trying to run an original Dreamcast disk (GD-ROM). These disks are
not supported by the emulator.

I dont have one i downloaded the game from a site

2: You're trying to run a game using the "XXX CD-ROM Interface" on Windows 2K. This Interface is not supported in Windows 2K so you MUST use the ASPI CD-ROM Interface when using Chankast on Windows 2K.

i have xp not 2k

3: You're trying to run a non-selfbootable disk. Either use a tool to make your game selfbootable or use the Utopia boot disk.

I'm not using a disk I'm using daemon tools

4: You have selected the wrong drive from the drive configuration of the emulator. Run the emulator, go to "Options"->"Configure Drive" and select the drive where the game is.

i know I'm using the right drive f:

well theres my big problem any help would be great

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Question 2 should be reversed: You are trying to run a game using the ASPI CD-ROM interface and that is not supported out of the box in Windows 2000 and XP. You should be using the XXX CD-ROM Interface instead.

Also, what applies to Windows 2000 usually applies to Windows XP as well; both run on an NT kernel while Win9x do not.

Question 3 refers to both physical discs and mounted images. The emulator doesn't see a difference between the two, because the emulator as well as your operating system sees a mounted CD image as a regular disc (that's the whole point of virtual drive software).

P.S. You should try nullDC over Chankast. Disc booting issues in Chankast are well known.

Last edited:
OP
L

lance 321

ok i tryed nullDc and i cant get it to work

so can u tell me how to change the cd-rom interface or were i can find out?

and im trying exoboot and it dousnt seem to help

Agozer

Plugins --> Configure. The program isn't that big nor hard to figure out, trust me.

What exactly is the problem with nullDC?

OP
L

lance 321

cpu 2.00 ghz, ram 256mb, video 64mb gforce 2, xp:home

and i have the same problem with dcmull it thinks its a music cd and dcmull is very very slow not like chancast witch was smooth and fast

Last edited:

Agozer

cpu 2.00 ghz, ram 256mb, video 64mb gforce 2, xp:home

and i have the same problem with dcmull it thinks its a music cd and dcmull is very very slow not like chancast witch was smooth and fast
Then the game is most likely not self-boot, in which case you need a bootdisc (Utopia for example)

P.S. Demul is fast, it just doesn't have Dynamic Recompilation enabled by default, while Chankast does. I wouldn't bother with Demul at this point because its sound output is horrible, though.

Agozer

Try NullDC instead. I don't think it needs self-boot images (since it doesn't require mounting).
The OP already pointed out that nullDC doesn't work.

Besides, having to mount a CD image versus loading the image directly has makes no difference when trying to run non-selfboot games; the boot process is still exactly the same from the console's point of view.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
nullDC needs some specific runtimes installed in order to work. Reading the included documentation and following the instructions there will make it magically "work".

C'mon people, it's simple enough. :)

Agozer

I assumed that he already had those runtimes installed, because he said that

time i ran nulldc it would say an error has occoured and must be shut down

Which leads me to believe that's he's getting the generic Windows XP error message. I know, it's bad to assume things, but still.

OP
L

lance 321

ok well now i dont understand how to use utopia ,

u use deamon tools to mount utopia then i run chankast then i get a new screen with a floating deer , but now im lost.

i dont know what to do next.