What's new

Network Netplay?

Van Halen Man

Is it possible to use say kiallera to play on a network instead of internet?
Or is there any other network netplay proram of some sort?

OP
Van Halen Man

Van Halen Man

I know that, I am asking if you can use Kiallera to play with someone on a network instead of internet. (like a home network, or an office network).

Iconoclast

Some emulators have their own internal form of NetPlay, but all online emulators for the Nintendo 64 use only Kaillera Client or recently a new form of Kaillera Client called I forget, supported by Mupen64k, which I'm thinking so far as the best NetPlay emulator. You may disagree, but follow these steps using whichever program.
  1. The NetPlay emulator will have an option to start Kaillera Client, and it will be under a menu of some sort. Check around; should have either "NetPlay" or "Kaillera Client" in it.
  2. Online gameplay servers will be loaded. You can either enter the IP address of the server you want to play a game in, if you know it, or choose a server on the list. Press Stop when you are about to do either so servers stop being added to the list, since you already see the server you choose.
  3. At the bottom of the server dialoge is a list of games. You can either join one, if the game isn't busy and active (which will be stated on the right tabs), or start your own. The Create New Game button will let you pick the game you want to start, so long as it is found in your ROMs directory loaded by the emulator.
  4. Once you are in a game, wait for the host to start it. If you are the host, or game starter, you can Start Game yourself. The Kick button will kick the selected user out of the game.
If you already know that, too, I have no idea what you're asking in this thread.

OP
Van Halen Man

Van Halen Man

Ok, that somewhat helped, but I have netplayed many times with pj64k so I know most of that, but what i am trying to ask is....ok, my dad has my computer and his computer both set up on a network (at home) and I want to know if I can somehow connect to his computer which is in his room from my computer which is in the basement. (it is just a home network). I want to play a game with him on the network and not the internet, and I wanted to know if it was possible to do that with Kiallera, have his computer be the server, and I connect to it on the network, instead of connecting to a computer on the internet. I know it is possible with zsnes, but we wanted to play some N64 games also. Does that sort of clarify my question?

Iconoclast

Hmph. ZSNES I think can do it because it has an MS-DOS version...could be wrong.

With N64 I doubt this can be done, sorry.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Netplay in ZSNES isn't singled to just the DOS port, FYI.

Back on topic, what prevents you from creating a Kaillera server using your dad's computer (his computer acting as server, of course) and then connection the your computer to that server?

Iconoclast

I...didn't say it was. :)

Anything that requires online/Internet connection is not what he wants. He seems to be saying that his dad's computer is not connected to the Internet, or he just wants to play in a form of NetPlay only requiring a connection to other computers instead of online servers.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Ah, I see now. My Bad.

Yes, I also think that it is not possible. Not with Kaillera anyway.

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Leave it to the Kaillera developer to answer this... ;)

http://kaillera.com/download.php

Just download the latest version of Kaillera Server binaries (windows/linux) [im assuming your on windows so get windows] and run the server...

retrieve the IP:
run::
'command.com' -> 'ipconfig'.

Heres what your looking for:

ipconfig said:
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : *********.
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Then enter it into the Connect Server IP

&

Just to make sure nobody bothers you...

kaillerasrv.conf said:
; Kaillera server config file

; ServerName can be up to 64 characters long.
ServerName=Unknown serv0r
; Location can be up to 64 characters long.
Location=Unknown location
; URL can be up to 128 characters long. (ex: http://www.mysite.com/)
URL=

MaxUsers=10
Port=27888

; Set Public to 0 if you want to run the server on a private LAN
Public=1

You may want to set Public to 0, to run the server on a private LAN.

-- edit --

You might also want to try using Mupen64K as it would run your games faster and sync them better.
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?p=381910#post381910

Last edited:
OP
Van Halen Man

Van Halen Man

Do I have do be on line okaygo? Because I have Dialup and I wanted to do this so that I didnt have to hang up the phone....and in case you were wondering, when I said that I have netplayed all the time with kiallera, that was at my sisters house where high speed internet is available.(just so ya know).

Iconoclast

Notice the phrase "private LAN" in his post.

a.k.a. private local area connection.

That means no. Just do what he says; he knows what he's saying, and you'll get what you want.

GE Master

I've done this via LAN although it was a while ago. Just experiment and you will get it. I would honestly use Mupen64k if you are playing GoldenEye. I know it's a pj64 forum!! But I will likely be trying this LAN setup asap so I'll update this thread and post my findings.