What's new

N64 Animated GIFs Gallery / Requests

Iconoclast

So, who's got some N64 GIFs they want to show off?

You can always post new ones you finish making even after you've already posted in this thread; if necessary, be as 'showoffy' as possible. Hell, even if I'm the only one who posts in this thread, better keep updating it with new GIFs than just leaving it sitting here (undeleted).

If you've already posted it before somewhere random, who cares? Organize them here. Feel free to ask for a GIF of something from an N64 game; I used to spend 18 hours a day working on this stuff.

If you want to make your own GIFs (but don't know how), I got a page on it in my signature-linked docs.

Jiggywiggy (Banjo-Tooie)

Jiggywiggy.gif

Bowser (Mario Party)

Bowser.gif

Baby Bowser (Mario Party)

BabyBowser.gif

Omni Cube (Bomberman 64)

OmniCube2.gif

Mario (Super Mario 64)

Mario-1.gif

Sharp of the Composer Bros. (Legend of Zelda, The: Majora's Mask)

Sharp.gif

Luigi - Running + A attack (Super Smash Bros.)

Luigi.gif

Coins (Super Mario 64)

YellowCoin.gif
RedCoin.gif
BlueCoin.gif

Cyan Yoshi (Yoshi's Story)

CyanYoshi.gif

Mario (Mario Kart 64)

Mario.gif

N Logo (Zelda MM or OOT)

Nintendo64Zelda.gif

Mystery Eggs and Key (Banjo-Kazooie)

GreenMysteryEgg.gif
TurquoiseMysteryEgg.gif
IceKey.gif

Silver Scale (Ocarina of Time)

Silver_Scale.gif

Green Rupee (Ocarina of Time)

GreenRupee.gif

Extra Honeycomb Piece (Banjo-Kazooie)

ExtraHoneycombPiece.gif

Jiggy (Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie)

Jiggy-1.gif

Spiritual Stones (Ocarina of Time)

KokirisEmerald.gif
GoronsRuby-1.gif
ZorasSapphire-1.gif

Power Star (Super Mario 64)

SuperMario64Star-1.gif

Knuckles

they really look nice (except the fact that the N logo from Zelda changes color (not a real full spin)

btw... your sig is reallly too big... please make it smaller, it takes 2/3 my screen and I'm in 1280x960....

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Signature fixed.

Yeah, there wasn't really anything I could do about it. The logo spin in the game didn't last long enough for me to record it all the way.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Ooh...nice collection there.
Very nice! How do you do them?
I first started making animated GIFs by slowing down emulation as much as possible, either using 1964's speed limiter customizer settings or using Frame buffer emulation w/ RSP interpreter on Jabo's Direct3D as well as some other methods. Then, I would hold the screenshots keyboard shortcut, which is F3 on 1964, so it would log animated screenshots to the appropriate folder. Import the batch of screen shots as a new animation in Jasc Animation Shop (some people use Macromedia Fireworks or Adobe CS2 I think it was, but AS I think is the most simplistic and format-flexible). Instead of flood-filling the background to transparent, what I did a lot of the time was erase each of the background's pixels to the magenta color, which is why animations like the green rupee took 5 hours and the Sharp animation took...even longer. Set the magenta background to the new transparent color, save as GIF with unique settings for each animation to keep quality optimal, and keep a backup MNG version where 32 bit color is preserved for future resize purposes.

Now, I do it much differently. I do not hold F3, as JPEG screenshot quality adds tons of colors to N64 images, making GIF quality optimization harder as the palette limited to 256 colors is more easily filled. Instead, I slow emulation as much as possible as usual, but I pause with a keyboard shortcut (F2 in Project64), Alt+Enter to take an uncompressed screenshot of the emulator window, paste it into AS, keep the cycle going until I have an animation. Yeah...I wish it was easier. I also use retexturing via Rice's or Jabo's plugin to remove the background for all frames ahead of time.

I ran out of time for a Mario spinning animation, but I got this one done last night.

Mario-2.gif

Edit: A lot of the animations are going to be slower if you're using I.E. 6 or previous instead of say FireFox. I.E. doesn't support animation speeds faster than 0.1 seconds per frame.

BlueFalcon7

Ooh...nice collection there.I first started making animated GIFs by slowing down emulation as much as possible, either using 1964's speed limiter customizer settings or using Frame buffer emulation w/ RSP interpreter on Jabo's Direct3D as well as some other methods. Then, I would hold the screenshots keyboard shortcut, which is F3 on 1964, so it would log animated screenshots to the appropriate folder. Import the batch of screen shots as a new animation in Jasc Animation Shop (some people use Macromedia Fireworks or Adobe CS2 I think it was, but AS I think is the most simplistic and format-flexible). Instead of flood-filling the background to transparent, what I did a lot of the time was erase each of the background's pixels to the magenta color, which is why animations like the green rupee took 5 hours and the Sharp animation took...even longer. Set the magenta background to the new transparent color, save as GIF with unique settings for each animation to keep quality optimal, and keep a backup MNG version where 32 bit color is preserved for future resize purposes.

Now, I do it much differently. I do not hold F3, as JPEG screenshot quality adds tons of colors to N64 images, making GIF quality optimization harder as the palette limited to 256 colors is more easily filled. Instead, I slow emulation as much as possible as usual, but I pause with a keyboard shortcut (F2 in Project64), Alt+Enter to take an uncompressed screenshot of the emulator window, paste it into AS, keep the cycle going until I have an animation. Yeah...I wish it was easier. I also use retexturing via Rice's or Jabo's plugin to remove the background for all frames ahead of time.

I ran out of time for a Mario spinning animation, but I got this one done last night.

Edit: A lot of the animations are going to be slower if you're using I.E. 6 or previous instead of say FireFox. I.E. doesn't support animation speeds faster than 0.1 seconds per frame.

I for got to respond before...

Nice job, I knew you could just take every individual screenshot, but I didn't actually believe you took that route. I will have to get back into plating N64, and see what I would want as an avatar. Those may take a lot of time, but they are really cool.