What's new

MSN help needed

vleespet

The decent one
This will be one of the few threads I'll start in my complete emutalk-life, but I currently need a bit help :p. To the point: is there any way I can check the IP address of the person I'm chatting with?

Gorxon

Administrator
I was wondering about the same thing, but as far as I know you can't. However, as MSN messenger is client to client (at least I hope so) you can use a program like etheral to monitor the ports on your computer. Then you can see what ip a user is (given that you find the port or recognize the time or something, and of course that the user has sent you a message or vice-versa.)

2fast4u

yes. afaik msn (unlike icq) doesnt establish a direct connection so its not possible that easily. monitoring your network traffic helps.

Gorxon

Administrator
Well, if what you say is true, then all traffic will come from same ip (the MSN server). I highly doubt they would do this though, as it means that they actually have to route all the data on the server. And it also mean that they can monitor what people talk about...hmm..

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
go start a file transfer in msn then you can look it up. type netstat in your console

Last edited:

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
or grab something like ethereal and capture some messenger packets, rip them apart and grab their IP :)

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
drive over to their house, then type ipconfig on their computer :satisfied

Lex

Gorxon said:
Well, if what you say is true, then all traffic will come from same ip (the MSN server). I highly doubt they would do this though, as it means that they actually have to route all the data on the server. And it also mean that they can monitor what people talk about...hmm..
i've tried it with someone from wich i know his ip and another ip showed up in ethereal.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I also just wondering, is there anyway to know if some of your contac has blocked you?

Stezo2k

S-2K
vleespet said:
This will be one of the few threads I'll start in my complete emutalk-life, but I currently need a bit help :p. To the point: is there any way I can check the IP address of the person I'm chatting with?

yes, i have just the program, PM me :)