What's new

Major Help needed!!!

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
I am in trouble - I purchased a new PC a couple of days ago! and all was well until I decided to use the TV out instead of a monitor. For some reason I switched it off from the back of the machine and now when I turn it on with a regular monitor the initial messages load then the Windows XP home screen loads but then when windows should start the screen goes to standby!!!!! I can't see anything! If I type my windows password you hear the login sound.

Please can someone help - You guys are my last hope!

Thanks
Grant64

Teamz

J'aime tes seins
Try using tv-out again, then go to your gfx card options to reenable monitor output, then unplug tv-out

dunno if it will works ..

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
no still nothing when I use TV out NOTHING happens. Incidently just before the monitor cuts out there are two little click noises. Can anyone suggest anything

blizz

what's your gfx card?

and dare I say it, but sniff the card to see if it smells funny... if it does it's likely part of the card has blown and since it's a new PC you ought to be able to get it replaced

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
the clicking noises are your monitor going into a higher resolution and probably using a higher freq then your monitor can support.

Plug in your TV, uninstall the NVidia driver (Start->Settings->Control Pannel->Add/Remove programs) and reboot; when you reboot make _sure_ that your monitor is connected not your TV. Now grab the new drivers from NVidia web site and install them; reboot again and you should be up and working fine.

[edit]
His video card is in his sig :p
Video: 32mb Geforce TNT2
[/edit]

Last edited:
OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
I can't get to the control panel! The PC doesn't work on a TV. But that sounds good. is there anything I can do

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Oh I managed to boot it in safe mode and it worked a treat, did what you said malcom - Thanks for your quick replys.