What's new

Help and advice for a new comp

Talas

Son of the Sky
Heya everyone,

its been a while since I posted, but I am quite happy to see that the forum is still alive. :) What with the whole Web 2.0 thingy drawing away attention from forums. At least, thats how it looks to me.

Anyhow, I would like your advice. My PC is like five or six years old and I want to buy a new one, and since I earn money now I want this one to be really really good. Now my neighbour owns a PC-Store and made be an offer. Looks like this:

- Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR, 8ch. HD Sound (Motherboard)
- 2x DIMM 2Gigs of DDR2RAM PC2-800 Kingston VR
- Harddisk: Samsung F3, HD642HJ, 640 GB, 7200 R/Min, SATA2
- Graphics: Sparkle GeForce GTX275, 896 MB
- LG Bluray Player (DVD Recorder)
- CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2,83 Ghz, 12 MB Cache

All complete with coolers and cabinet. He offers me this one for 1000€.

What do you guys think? I want a fast PC with which I can play, work, edit pics, videos etc. Nothing professional (except the work, but thats mostly writing and programming), just for me. What do you think? Is it a good offer?

thanks guys

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
That's a lot bucks for such a system, it has nothing special (okay, probably the BR Burner) and some stuff is underpowered (RAM), some stuff is to much for your needs (Quad core? Nearly no programm uses it and a good Dual Core is cheaper and most of the time has better results in benchmarks aswell.), so I wouldn't recommend you this system.

smcd

I would expect to build that system around $1000 USD which is about 690€. Does that 1000€ price include VAT, if you are charged that? (Notice building myself saves labor costs which may be a bit more to that - make it 800 euro or something including labor?)

Last edited:

revl8er

That Damn Good
If you can build the pc yourself you could always order the parts yourself. From what I've seen with ordering my parts I spent $250 on a AMD Phenom II Quad and MOBO, $250 on a HD4870 (now about $150), $70 on 4 gigs of memory, $100 on a 1TB HD, $60 on a case, $120 on a 750w PSU. Add a BR drive and you'd be looking at $900 give or take. The price is a bit high, but it'll run what you need it to.