What's new

for you linux gurus (help)

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
Eagle said:
so, your compiling the kernel with alsa module support, or alsa built-in support?

in the kernel alsa is compiled with built-in support, but under pci devices in the alsa section of the kernel, my sound card, via 82c686a/b is compiled as a module.

ok, this is where i stand. i stopped the alsa module from auto loading by "rc-update del alsasound boot". I then deleted "/etc/modules.d/alsa". i then unmerged the alsa-utils. i then unmerged alsa-oss. As far as i can tell, alsa is now gone from my system. With this said, what is the best way to set up alsa with the 2.6 kernel (gentoo-2.6.9-r1). my audio card is:

VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

thanks.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Ok, its been a while since I last installed alsa, but when I did I remember the guide told me NOT to install any sound card drivers at all, and thats what I did (except the ones for my video capture card, they dont count). Of course this was a 2.4 kernel and didnt have an alsa section of the kernel or even alsa support in the kernel. Basically what I did back then was not install any sound drivers for the sound card itself and then emerge alsa and I dont remember much else about the configuration. Unfortunately I was forced onto a small drive when my big one died, I will be installing alsa as soon as my new HD gets here (god I miss gentoo) and I will let you know if I have the same problem.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
apparently a few other people on the gentoo boards are having a similar problem....

Jakob

evil *******
mesman: goto the console and type alsa-config as root, atleast that's what I think the command is(suppose you could type alsa and press tab a couple times to find it if that's wrong), can't quite remember, it's alsa's built in utility to configure your soundcard, it's worked every single time I've had an issue with alsa configuration

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
Unfortunately, all my linux experience is in remote environments... i.e. I've never had to bother with sound support (or video support, since I'm not using X remotely).

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
pAsSiVe said:
mesman: goto the console and type alsa-config as root, atleast that's what I think the command is(suppose you could type alsa and press tab a couple times to find it if that's wrong), can't quite remember, it's alsa's built in utility to configure your soundcard, it's worked every single time I've had an issue with alsa configuration

i'll give it a shot and let you know what happens. thanks.

edit. ok i ran the command, it's alsaconf. anyways, it told me there was no supported pnp or PCI device found. How can that be true when:

Code:
bash-2.05b# lspci | grep -i audio
0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Great to hear you got it solved. I'm going to be installing Gentoo as soon Knoppix finishes downloading. I don't have a VIA motherboard though, so hopefully I won't have the same problem.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
I need some help too.... :)

I used for a year RedHat9 in this scheme:

hda --|
|-- hda1 - NTFS WinSystem
|-- hda2 - NTFS Documents and Swap
|-- hda3 - linux swap
|-- hda4 - linux / (ext2)

and used NTLoader as system loader (my family isn't comfortable with lilo or grub)....

Now i bought a new HDD and wiped RedHat (i going to a better linux :) )
and i resized using Acronis Utilities:

hda --| (40GB)
|-- hda1 NTFS WinXP (36,8GB)
|-- hda2 linux swap (401MB)
|-- unpartitioned space (100MB)

hdb --| (120GB)
|-- hdb1 NTFS Trashes, Docs and Win Swap (100GB)
|-- hdb2 Linux ReiserFS (10GB)
|-- unpart space (500MB)

With this scheme i can continue to use the NTLoader?
Any warnings or recomendations before i install Gentoo? (using Pent4 stage3, coz i noob... lolz)
I'm printing the Gentoo handbook to read during instalation.... lol
And install using the minimal CD, and download the kernel from internet....

....I tired of RedHat or Conectiva options.... thanks for alll... :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Nighty0 said:
I used for a year RedHat9 in this scheme:

hda --|
|-- hda1 - NTFS WinSystem
|-- hda2 - NTFS Documents and Swap
|-- hda3 - linux swap
|-- hda4 - linux / (ext2)

and used NTLoader as system loader (my family isn't comfortable with lilo or grub)....

Now i bought a new HDD and wiped RedHat (i going to a better linux :) )
and i resized using Acronis Utilities:

hda --| (40GB)
|-- hda1 NTFS WinXP (36,8GB)
|-- hda2 linux swap (401MB)
|-- unpartitioned space (100MB)

hdb --| (120GB)
|-- hdb1 NTFS Trashes, Docs and Win Swap (100GB)
|-- hdb2 Linux ReiserFS (10GB)
|-- unpart space (500MB)

With this scheme i can continue to use the NTLoader?
Any warnings or recomendations before i install Gentoo? (using Pent4 stage3, coz i noob... lolz)
I'm printing the Gentoo handbook to read during instalation.... lol
And install using the minimal CD, and download the kernel from internet....

....I tired of RedHat or Conectiva options.... thanks for alll... :)

Uh, I highly reccomend Grub. Geez, how hard can it be to learn a new boot loader, you just hit the arrow keys and press enter.

If you are using stage 3 simply because you are a noob, dont. The difference between stage 2 and stage 3 a matter of one command, emerge system. The only reason to use stage 3 is if you want GRP installs for software which means you don't have to compile everything, or if you have a slow computer that would take years to compile the system. Otherwise, go with stage 2.

You can actually install Gentoo from Knoppix, which will allow you to use see the handbook without printing it. Also with it, if you have trouble you can connect to IRC to get help or play games to pass the time while it is compiling. I highly reccomend using Knoppix but be sure to read over the Knoppix install guide at gentoo.org and when it tells you to bindmount proc, don't.

Also it's good to have a copy of Knoppix as a life saver in case something goes terribly wrong in Gentoo or Windows.

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Why do you want to use NTLoader ? I mean, it's exactly the same thing as others loaders except it has less flexibility... and i hardly see how lilo or grub can be harder to use than NTLoader for your family. Anyway, it's your choice, but i don't know enough about NTLoader limitations to answer your question.

You want to start with stage3 because you're a noob ? No! that's not a good reason. You can start with stage 3 if you want but it should only be for installation speed reason or because you don't plan to optimize compilation flags for your system, it's not harder at all to start from stage 1.

Edit: Eagle posted nearly the same thing while i was typing... And yea i agree, knoppix is probably a good idea, at least you have a working system while you do thing loooonnnnggg installation ;)

Last edited:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Hacktarux said:
Why do you want to use NTLoader ? I mean, it's exactly the same thing as others loaders except it has less flexibility... and i hardly see how lilo or grub can be harder to use than NTLoader for your family. Anyway, it's your choice, but i don't know enough about NTLoader limitations to answer your question.

You want to start with stage3 because you're a noob ? No! that's not a good reason. You can start with stage 3 if you want but it should only be for installation speed reason or because you don't plan to optimize compilation flags for your system, it's not harder at all to start from stage 1.

Edit: Eagle posted nearly the same thing while i was typing... And yea i agree, knoppix is probably a good idea, at least you have a working system while you do thing loooonnnnggg installation ;)

Lol.... i installed with stage 3 now.... but i don't care much about.... i only learning linux..... (my RedHat experience helped nothing.... i saw during the gentoo instalation....)
After some trial and errors with kernel compile (about 3 hours)... i choosed the genkernel (more time compiling).... lol

After all, i tried to use the ntloader.... and.... i cant boot gentoo....

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\linux.bin="Gentoo Linux 2004.2"

i used dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/mnt/floppy/linux.bin bs=512 count=1

When the ntloader comes to screen... i choose Gentoo... and error:

Code:
Grub Geom Error

Now i will reboot my system and configure grub to mbr..... wish me luck... or wait me edit this post via "links2" (using livecd)... lol

As i said later.. i don't care much about stages.... if i need to reinstall all gentoo later.. i will do... but not now.... is only my first experience with a real linux system... (redhat is a fake linux... lol :) )

...... i fu***** my system.... when grub try to load my comp reboot... lol... my time is short now... i`ll try to recover the ntloader and try to install gentoo another day...
i made something wrong.....

Last edited:

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
sorry for abusing your thread mesman00 but i only have a small linux/partition question ;).
I'm planning to try gentoo on my lappy this weekend but i only have 1 HD here (40 gb fujistsu)

Code:
                   MB         GB
hda1	boot	   32        0,03125
hda2	swap	  512        0,5
hda3	linux	 7434,24     7,26
hda4	winxp	 7434,24     7,26
hda5	data	22782,72    22,24875
total:          38195       37,3
How should i partitionize it?
Which should be primary and which logic/extended?
Since i only can setup 4 primary at max i need to get a work around, normaly (on my desktop) i used hdb for data...

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
wow... i'm back to windows using ntloader, after the problems with grub....

analizing my errors.... i forgot to create the /boot partition..... this partition is obligatory?

in my previous linux experience (redhat9), i dont need to create the partition only for /boot.....

i used only 4 partitions, as i said in my previous posts, i need to create the boot partition? and if yes... obligatorily in hda, or i can create in hdb?

another question... using emerge lilo.... this will write the MBR, or i can choose to not use the MBR.... coz in redhat9, i used lilo, but not in MBR....

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Falcon4ever said:
sorry for abusing your thread mesman00 but i only have a small linux/partition question ;).
I'm planning to try gentoo on my lappy this weekend but i only have 1 HD here (40 gb fujistsu)

Code:
                   MB         GB
hda1	boot	   32        0,03125
hda2	swap	  512        0,5
hda3	linux	 7434,24     7,26
hda4	winxp	 7434,24     7,26
hda5	data	22782,72    22,24875
total:          38195       37,3
How should i partitionize it?
Which should be primary and which logic/extended?
Since i only can setup 4 primary at max i need to get a work around, normaly (on my desktop) i used hdb for data...

I would say your boot, swap, linux, and winxp partitions should be primary. I wouldnt think that the data folder would need to be a primary if it is just for storing files. That should work I think. Ive never tried that before, but I'm actually going to be doing that myself when I start installing this time.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I dont think you have to use a boot partition but I would if I were you. Also make sure you remember to create a mount point and mount the boot partition to the main partition. You could just emerge grub and set it to find the files on the main drive but its a good idea not to store the boot loader on a partition/drive that stays mounted all the time. Also you need to use ext2 to avoid problems on the boot partition, if this is your main drive, you are kind of locked into using only ext2 without going to a lot of trouble to make it work.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Eagle said:
I dont think you have to use a boot partition but I would if I were you. Also make sure you remember to create a mount point and mount the boot partition to the main partition. You could just emerge grub and set it to find the files on the main drive but its a good idea not to store the boot loader on a partition/drive that stays mounted all the time. Also you need to use ext2 to avoid problems on the boot partition, if this is your main drive, you are kind of locked into using only ext2 without going to a lot of trouble to make it work.

Yep... i'll try to create a boot part using ext2.... i've used reiserfs..... lol

Eagle

aka Alshain
Falcon I did some research and infact, Gentoo could care less if you were using a primary or logical drive. In fact it could also care less about the boot flag. I created all my gentoo partitions on logical drives and left the boot flag on the wiindows boot partition just to keep windows happy.