What's new

Emulation in 2003 - Year Review (Big and detailed)

Lynx

I haven't found general EMULATION discussion topic in forum so I post it here, sorry.

I would like to mention most important (IMHO) events in emulation of 2004. I'm not mentioning most computer emulators, there were some nice things. Consoles and arcades... I would also like to hear "ROMs of the year" from somebody who was playing, not emulating. They follow in no particular order.

1) In January 2003 Cal2 announced Virtual <b>Jaguar</b> after the autumn 2002 death of Jagulator which never succeeded in running (there were only screenshots which seem to be a fake) a commercial game. This became a main Jag emulator of the year, Project Tempest, it's main competitor is too unstable (yet/still) for real gaming.

2) PCSX 1.5 appeared in mid-2003 ending <b>PSX epopee</b>. Nothing 'awesome' was added in ePSXe 1.6.0 too. These were final releases called "Let's move to PS2". Nice work, Linuzappz & Shadow and calb & Galtor.

3) Nebula <b>M2</b> made a serious debut proving that Sega 3D arcade emulation with unknown hardware is possible. ElSemi, the guy who stands behind Dreamer (thanks for discontinuing it) and Nebula made this Model 2 discovery.

4) <a href="http://www.sega.com/games/pc/segaclassics.jhtml">Sega Classics</a> appeared early 2003 proving that legal emulation makes money. RealOne Arcade was quite a hit in our area for late 2002 and appearance of Sega titles brought our attention there again after Diamond Mine and Arcanoid clone Rebound. Thanks goes to Stéphane Dallongeville, also known as Stef.
Stef also opened sources for <b>Gens</b> 2.0 and now we have perfect Genesis emulator for BeOS and Linux.

5) <b>PCSX2</b> proved that PSX2 emulation is real. Featuring member of Incubus (well-known on demo scene for it's world best GBC demo), Alexey Silinov aka Basara they significantly speeded up the emulation, added dynarec and ran the first game! In February 2002 we wrote on our portal "Please wait a year until it will publicly run commercial game with good gameplay" with PCSX2 0.2 release. Here it is :)

6) Microsoft acquires <b>VirtualPC</b> from Connectix. Connectix site is down forever. Microsoft now produces "Virtual Servers".

7) <b>GiriGiri</b> is extracted from another "gaming-on-demand" service called <a href="http://cyberdisc.zaq.ne.jp/">CyberDisc</a>. As far as we can see, Japanese market demands far more complex games than just a Sega Genesis emulator. Satourne is not "almost" required anymore.

8) <b>Russian emulation</b> makes solid progress and aims high. RbPSE and HLPSE, GBEmu, first Gens and ZSNES patches, HQYx effects and of course Dolwin plus dozens of tools like iMage. Don't forget finished Zelda64 translation and commercial twoOStwo PC VM.

9) <b>Nintendo 64</b> emulation gained full power this year.
UltraHLE 2064 release on 2002 christmas didn't make much expected noise and didn't last long. It's not dead though.
Glide64 ressurrected Voodoo power and proved that UltraHLE is not the only emulator which can take full advantage of Glide (well, not counting Pete's job). eVoodoo became requested again. 2004 will bring us Voodoo 5 power!
Nemu 0.8 didn't become what we expected.

1964 christmas release proved that nothing else can be done. And it's opensource. Enjoy.

There was a dozen more plugins, but most of them are not worth mentioning after Jabo's and Rice work.

10) <b>PPC emulation</b> became a reality after GameCube emulation and early Mac-model emulation which ressurrected Basilisk II.

11) Futhermore, it's in <b>MAME</b> now. Next year will be 3D MAME year and I'm sure that all the exciting 3D work done in MAME this year (Atari 3Dfx hardware, different PSX-based systems ported from different emulators like Zinc, Viva Nonno and even ST-V) plus migration to Direct3D (which broke sync in MAME while Haze was handling it) will soften hearts of MAMEdevs. Their decision to include all testdrivers in MAME was a tough choice but it's a major step forward for emulation since everybody can contribute. Let's hope to see Winding Heat anytime soon. And Super Monkey Ball ;) CHD became a defacto standard for harddrives. Let's hope that 2005 will be a HLEMAME year.

11) <b>FreeDO</b>, the most inadequate emulator of 2003. Well, after my chats with author emulator I had a strength opinion - he's too self confident. He said that releasing binary of emulator will be legal and source of it will be... NOT. That was the main reason of my "non-attention" to his <b>3DO</b> project.
Overall, while having such slow processor, fine emulation requires OK computer. Well, it's the same "ARM" problem as with GBA. He did great job while confusing everybody with private releases with different numbering leaked/released at different time.

12) Nuon emulator. It's like emulating 3DO M2.
Platform has couple of games but it's worth emulation. And it's tough.

13) Icarus. No early winter release with NAOMI emulation, no summer beta-release. Dozens of perfect screenshots in PNG format, proofs of couple gfx plugins in development and other mysteries. No release and no significant progress from other authors. Our hope in <b>Dreamcast</b> emulation is Cal2 from Potato Emulation who regularly supplies beta versions of his emulators. Don't count on ChooDO, we saw what happenned with FreeDO.

<b>Comments</b>
I've expected a bit more from that year. I hoped that MagicEngine author will release PC-FX emulator. I understand that he's doing it not for fun, but for money. And he's probably really lacking them so he has to spend more time on other REAL $$$ thingies.
My expectations were wrong about FakeNES from ZSNES authors. The emulator is almost stalled. And I also wanted to see ZSNES style GUI which some FakeNES-derived project promised.
I wanted to see BGB ruling the GB/C earth and hoped that author will move to GBA. His low-level skills are awesome.
I was hoping that we'll see new Zinc but everybody got crazy about MAME and said - screw fast inaccurate emulation.
Same thing with Raine. Our luck that by the end of 2003 there were more 68000 dumps so RAINE is becoming more active now.

Satourne takes AYBABTU prize.

I also have "took-so-long" prize. I'll give it to CXBX. Well, author is a kid so don't cry :)
Xeon proved that my words about X-Box wrapper done in-a-month is not a myth. It's proven, I'm right.
Second place is SDL for GP32. Their community is very closed and sometimes blind. It took them couple of years to understand simple thing - SDL is a way to hundreds of games and apps (I mentioned that YEARS AGO) on their child which was NOT RELEASED this year in europe. Probably germans, who planned to distribute it, understood that it's useless.

Emulation hardware of the year: <a href="http://www.kurusugawa-ele.co.jp/product/pci/romeo/index.html">Romeo</a>, Ancient FM sound card aka YM-blaster. Figure this out yourself, it's fun.

The most annoying request of the year: Virtua Racing on Sega Genesis emulation. I remember at least 6 requests on our portal forum about that.

To finalise year 2003... I proclaim it the golden year of N64 and PSX, almost nothing can be improved in that area.

This is my slightly edited crosspost from our LiveJournal community "Romov.Net".
You can agree or disagree with that, I don't mind blaming, but that's a look of a guy, who emulates for 8 years and runs biggest russian national emulation portal.
I'm not mentioning any kind of tools here - they can be created in days of work by any kid. They can't be a breakthrough until they have monthes of routine work like GoodTools have.

Thanks for all the blame, Lynx of Romov.Net.

I have to say i'm with you on the 3d mame stuff. I may actually start using MAME since as people who used to read emuzine will know (all 50 or so :p), I don't like many 2d arcade games.

N64 emulation has in my opinion, always been by far the strongest of the post 16bit emulation scenes. The saturn emulators are still struggling and the psx emulators have mroe front ends/plugins/options than there are fish in the sea.

This next year could proove to be interesting with gamecube emulation looking promising, and the xbox scene seems to be quite strong as well. I think this will perhaps be the most exciting year for enthusiasts.

The thought of ST-V Titan and Model2/3 emulators blows my socks off, i can't wait to see what will happen.

btw.. someone want to link to that editorial from the news page or something? Its pretty good, and im sure a few more than 2 people would find it interesting.

dukenukem

lord freiza
Oh my i thought alot more people here use mame i use it every day to play ninja turtles,streetfighter and the mk games:).

OP
Lynx

Lynx

I would like to hear member opinions about some other events that I probably missed.

Pete's OpenGL2 was not included because it's not innovative. It hasn't brought anything that was not accessible before in PSX emulation...

Flash

Technomage
One thing about PSX and Glide - it's not Pete (of course his D3D plugin works with any Voodoo but...), it's Lewpy :)
His Zinc gfx plugin is awesome.

Flash

Technomage
A few words about underservedly forgotten FinalBurn Alpha... NeoGeo driver will be the best after some remaining bugs will fixed (3 games not working, a bit unstable).
As fast as NeoRageX but works with MAME romset, sound is perfect (better than Nebula and anything else), LOTS of blitters, overclocking support... Very good beginning.
Not only the best CPS, Cave, Toaplan emulator, now NeoGeo... And it's open source.

OP
Lynx

Lynx

Does anybody care to see emuDigest 2004? If so, will I have a chance to put that topic into more popular forum or may be feature it on site?

sophomore

Lynx said:
Does anybody care to see emuDigest 2004? If so, will I have a chance to put that topic into more popular forum or may be feature it on site?

Yes! Coming into the emu scene in 2004, I found this article most enlightening to see where things were coming from.

EDIT:
I think I was a little too excited over nothing.

Last edited: