What's new

Donkey Kong 64 SP DMA read error

hulk3rules

I have been playing Donkey Kong near flawlessly on Project 64 and now it freezes up constantly. I am mostly through the game and am at Creepy Castle so it is pretty frustrating. The error message I get is "sp dma read could not fit copy in memory segment" I did some research and it seems that others have run into this problem, but I did not find a solution anywhere. I found this thread:

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=39212

but nothing in there seemed to help me find a solution. Here is some more information:

-Have the latest P64 and I have updated the rom database
-playing version Donkey Kong 64 (u)[!]
-The crash still happens if I play with no audio
-I have tried the video plugins that came with it, as well as Glide64 Wonder ++
-My vid card is ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300 with a 64 mb memory size
-Intel Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1GB RAM

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it, I would really like to finish off this game. If there is some information that I left out that would help solve this, let me know what it is and how to find it. Thank you

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Donkey Kong has a number of core and video issues on 1.6 as it stands... and currently nearly all roms have core issues on 1.7 due to a break in the recompiler not much i can really tell you on how to fix it

OP
H

hulk3rules

Glide64 won't cure a core issue.

Right, glidehq didn't help.

Leonhart, so you are saying since it is a core issue, there are no plugins I can install or settings I can change to fix it? If this is the case then why is the game listed as compatible in the game list for P64 if it is impossible to finish it?

Allnatural

Leonhart, so you are saying since it is a core issue, there are no plugins I can install or settings I can change to fix it? If this is the case then why is the game listed as compatible in the game list for P64 if it is impossible to finish it?
Right, core issues can't be fixed with a new plugin.

It's unreasonable to expect that every game in the N64's library is/was played to completion to determine (full) compatibility with each new release.

OP
H

hulk3rules

Squall,

Is the eep the native save file? If so I am not sure how to get what you want then, because for some reason the native saves never worked for me and I would always have to use save states instead. If you can instruct me on how to fix that (via pm if necessary) I will do it and post the right eep file

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
the eep files are saved in the same folder as savestates, if savestates are working, then it has the required write privaledges to save the native save files. thats odd :\

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
the eep files are saved in the same folder as savestates
Only by default. I never assume people have the default settings, I almost never do.

Have your native saves never worked at all, or is it just in this game? Is this something recent or has it always been this way? What's your operating system?

OP
H

hulk3rules

I have only recently tried using n64 emulators. The native save doesn't work for anything. Perhaps it is the folder/directory settings then? How should I have it set up. I am running windows xp with service pack2