What's new

Dolphin on WINE tested

BomarJr

Just an announcement I just wanted make, I have tried dolphin via WINE through the latest code weavers version on my 32 bit mac (and on linux) and it doesn't run at all. The program opens but doesn't load a single iso. But I have gotten dolphinx32 working on parallels desktop and VM Ware. I have yet to try VM Ware on linux to see if it runs dolphin & other direct x 3d games. So on the mac I got the emulator working through an other. Just to let everybody know in case they are curious.

PS sorry if this is not worth making a new thread for but i just had to let someone know. :)

Drizen

That's a shame. I'm planning on installing Linux Mint 3.1 with Wine soon too. I'm sure as new updates come and Wine becomes closer and closer to perfectly mimicking the Windows API, it will work eventually.

OP
B

BomarJr

yeah, it is a shame, but if you were planing to switch to linux go for it! it's way better than windows. even if i still believe mac os is the best, linux is right up there close to it. i highly recommend ubuntu 7.10 but if you still need to run windows apps don't depend on WINE. Yeah it's cool and all but it has caused some crashes and most cpu hogging apps (not emulation related) will probably not work. if i were you, i would find a way to partition your hard drive and install linux on it so you'd have linux and windows on your pc.

Drizen

Yeah, that's what I was planning--dual booting Windows + Linux. And Linux Mint is basically Ubuntu with more stuff like video codecs and DVD playback out-of-the-box. It's compatible with programs designed for Ubuntu distros.

http://www.linuxmint.com

Last edited:

LelandStanford

I imagine VMWare would be problematic because 3d graphics isn't supported so well by it. There are ways VMWare can emulate 3d but it probably doesn't take advantage your graphics card .

OP
B

BomarJr

woa, that sounds awesome! linux mint. I'll have to check that out. one thing linux related that i've been doing and perfecting is ubuntu on ps3. it sounds like i might be able to do that on ps3 and possibly boot GC isos at the very least, and get mupen 64 to run once ubuntu for ps3 is able to execute executibles which it can't do. and @ LelandStanford, yes if read the specks on VMWare Fusion Mac edition, it has directx 3d support like parallels.

EDIT: i just found out that ubuntu 7.10 is out with a ps3 version! guess what i'll be installing tonite!

Last edited:

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
If you use GIT Wine, you will get alot more support.

And DirectX on Vmware... sucks... sorry... Luckily, if its Linux on Vmware then the DirectX is being converted to OpenGL and therfore you need another method. I highly recommend that if you think you can, try http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andreslc/xen-gl/ with X11 of any sort (On MacOSX you'll need to know how to cross compile, sorry)

Also, just to let you know, you can't use the latest Dolphin over Wine. 64-bit support isn't coming into Wine stable any time soon. Theres a pitfall with every patch thats supposed to make 64-bit support, and i'm pretty sure they are all Proof of Concept anyways.