What's new

Can I run the N64 emulator?

Dr. Onuki

I have an old laptop with an 8MB integrated Trident videocard, with 184mb RAM, 900Mhz & running Windows XP :p

I tried running Project64, but it ran extremely choppy and slow, with colour distortions. Is there a emulator and settings that could help my laptop cope with the N64 emu, or is it absolutely hopeless? :)

Thanks again!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Don't bother. Not only is the video chip integrated, it also has only 8MB of VRAM. Nowhere near enough to be even considered bare minimum required for Project64. As for the rest of the N64 emulators, I honestly can't say.

UltraHLE/SupraHLE would be your top choice, although UHLE won't work either, since it only works on native Voodoo cards. I don't remember whether or not the SupraHLE team ever made the emulator work on non-Voodoo cards.

Last edited:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Long Answer:

Your bottleneck really is the 8MB Trident. Graphics cards back then didn't emphasize 3D support. Trident cards also had horrible driver support back then. I am willing to bet your card rendering some things in software emulation. I use to develop Apollo using a 450Mhz P2 and an Riva TNT 16MB. Everything worked fine and I could still get full speed in parts of Mario64. I am sure at 900Mhz you should be able to get even better results.

Short Answer: Your graphics card isn't compatible.

spartan

a long time ago i tried ultrahle with a 16mb card and it worked fine, but an 8mb card just wont cut it.

FlotsamX

Well, as said, try one of the older N64 emulators. They have less compatability support, and more errors, but they work on older computers. I'd recommend SupraN64, if I remember the name correctly.

Clements

If that Trident was a GeForce 2, at least you would have a few viable plugin options. As it stands, you'll have to use older emulators, and the results won't be perfect. I used to have SiS 530 integrated graphics back in the day, and it had glitches even with Jabo's DX6 plugin.

OP
D

Dr. Onuki

I can run a few games on 1964 with speed, but there are some major graphical errors (doesn't make them unplayable, fortunately). I guess it'll have to do :bouncy:

MrTom

I managed to run a few games on a old Pentium 166Mhz with matrox millenium think it was 4 or 8 mb and not a great deal of RAM. Corn with some tweaking ran well. I over clocked the CPU to 225mhz and ended up getting a Voodoo2 card and 128 or was it 256mb of RAM. I forget now. But I ended up using a early Glide only emulator. Sorry I don’t really recall much about the exact specs. But you can run to a point at least some games on very slow systems. Give Mario64 a go with Corn. Its your best bet I would say. Just avoid any of the new emulators as there all intended for modern hardware.

Have fun :)

Last edited: