What's new

ADSL Modem in Linux

Macca

Newbie Linux Help

Hi, im very new to linux and im trying to install my ADSL modem. I'm using Mandrake 9.2 and am trying to install a D-Link DSL-200. Mandrake doesnt seem to have the drivers for it. I found this site here telling me what to do http://home.pacific.net.au/~twhitema/linux_adsl.html , but as i said i know nothing at al about Linux. could somebody please help me through it?

Also how can i access my files on my windows HD, is it possible if it is ntfs?

Thakns

Last edited:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Macca said:
Hi, im very new to linux and im trying to install my ADSL modem. I'm using Mandrake 9.2 and am trying to install a D-Link DSL-200. Mandrake doesnt seem to have the drivers for it. I found this site here telling me what to do http://home.pacific.net.au/~twhitema/linux_adsl.html , but as i said i know nothing at al about Linux. could somebody please help me through it?

Also how can i access my files on my windows HD, is it possible if it is ntfs?

Thakns

http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/

i don't know this D-Link Model, is usb or ethernet?

ethernet is easy, usb is a¨%$%¨$....
i have an thomsom usb modem, and i hate that bullshit......

OP
Macca

Macca

ill prolly just get another modem, this one is a pos anyway.

anyway, if i convert my HD to Fat32 will i be able to edit the files form linux? cause in ntfs i can only view them. shanks.

mesman00

What's that...?
Macca said:

anyway, if i convert my HD to Fat32 will i be able to edit the files form linux? cause in ntfs i can only view them. shanks.

yep. in the 6.0 kernel it no longer says that writing to ntfs is dangerous if enabled. however, i have been recommend to stay with fat32 because nothing has yet been verified. unless that has changed? for now stick with fat32 and you will be safe.

OP
Macca

Macca

Slougi said:
Another relevant question is whether it is a pppoe connection or regular adsl.

im not too sure but it is a usb modem if that means anything

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Macca said:

I enabled the NTFS write and seems very stable to me (with the modules that i have downloaded from http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ and in a redhat 9 installation)
Tested with XP SP1 Pro, not sure about Win2003 NTFS.....

You can convert with Partition Magic 8.2 or Acronis Partition Expert (i personally recommend the second one)

OP
Macca

Macca

Ok, i managed to install the modem all by myself (oh i was so proud - using it right now :p)

and then i converted my HD to fat and it is all up and running great.

now just a few questions

1) Whats a good music player? i like wmp on xp because i like being able to sort and arrange by album/artist/genre, anything like this on linux?

2) Is there some way that i can get xp firefox and hunderbird running off the same config files so that they share favourites and history and emails? that would be awesome.

3) any general software reccommendations? any programs i cant go without?

cheers macca

Slougi

Macca said:
Ok, i managed to install the modem all by myself (oh i was so proud - using it right now :p)

and then i converted my HD to fat and it is all up and running great.

now just a few questions

1) Whats a good music player? i like wmp on xp because i like being able to sort and arrange by album/artist/genre, anything like this on linux?

2) Is there some way that i can get xp firefox and hunderbird running off the same config files so that they share favourites and history and emails? that would be awesome.

3) any general software reccommendations? any programs i cant go without?

cheers macca

1) I currently use Juk, which comes with kde 3.2, seems very nice. There is rhythmbox for gnome, and xmms which is a very nice clone of winamp 2.x

2) I don't really think so. Maybe by making a few symlinks.

3) Hmm.. Pingus? :p

OP
Macca

Macca

im upgrading kde and i've downloaded all the RPMs but whenever i try to install one of them i get.

Some package requested cannot be installed:
arts-1.1.94-4mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libarts1][== 30000001:1.1.94-4mdk])
do you agree ?

The same thing happens to all of the rpms, anyone know whats up?

OP
Macca

Macca

lol yeh but when i try to install libarts it gives me another error message about another file.

Slougi

Welcome to dependancy hell - why I don't use rpm based distros. You could try opening a terminal and typing "urpmi kde" (as root). But I've never used mandrake for more than 2 mins myself, so you should prolly ask malcolm or someone.

OP
Macca

Macca

im just going to give mandrake 10 rc1 a go, thats got the new kde and new kernal. thanks for the help