What's new

Run 1964 in WINE (Linux)?

jdm

Has anyone had any success running 1964 in WINE under Linux?

It runs great in WINE but the video is garbled. I switched the video output plugin to the OpenGL one and it helped quite a bit but its still unplayable. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I also switched the compiler to interpreter but it didn't help either.

Last edited:
OP
J

jdm

Thanks, haven't tried WineX but I have it as an RPM. I guess I'll have to extract it and compress it as a .tar.gz so I don't have to install RPM.

OP
J

jdm

Grabbing the .tar.gz of WineX from a friend since I can't seem to find an app to convert RPM to tgz.

I read the thread, it was pretty helpful. I'll post an update here and in the other thread when I get everything setup and running (if I get everything setup and running ;). Two minutes left on the download so it won't be much longer.

I can't seem to find any good games at all for the PC, wether its for Linux or Windows. I've been looking for a decent *looking* game that has the similar style that Nethack does.

Shadowbane looks great but that won't be out until early next year. Red Faction 2 looks great too. I've been burned by every game I've purchased this year. All of which I waited for at least 2 years for the games to come out. I actually bought those then they ended up being pieces of boring junk, most of which weren't complete. Morrowind and NWN both should have been worked on for at least another 5 months, especially Morrowind.

Downloads done!

OP
J

jdm

Everything works great but sound, which is also screwed up in Windows. I just turn my stereo off. I've got my soundcard output plugged into my stereo so I can control the volume and use its speakers.

The sound isn't that bad in Zelda since it doesn't play that many sounds.

I used the "decent sound" fix but for me it didn't seem to make a difference.

Mario Kart is a bit laggy going around turns. In Zelda the roads are golden yellow and Link's bedroom at the begining of the Ocorina is completely green, like the color they use for green screens in movies. It was the same color using Mupen64.

Other than that I didn't notice anything wrong but I only played for about 15 minutes each game, if that.

I used Basic Audio and the latest TR64 video plugin which was released on Sept 18 2002. I also used the RSP sound fix.

The WineX version I used was WineX v2.2a-1. The file name is WineX-2.2a-1.i386.rpm and I used rpm2targz to convert it to .tar.gz but I ended up just doing rpm -Uvh --nodeps as root to install it. The install with RPM went fine.

WineX also seemed to be a bit faster than the normal Wine.

I think 1964 will run just fine in the normal Wine with the right plugins but I didn't play around with it long enough. I removed Wine so it and Winex wouldn't screw each others ~/.wine/config's up.

I'll post some screenshots tomorrow after I wake up.

And a bit info about Wine and WineX. They are no longer the same anymore.

Transgaming's original plan was to release ALL of the source code for WineX under a non-restrictive license after they obtained 5,000 subscribers which is no longer mentioned on their web page. The WINE dev team was tired of them taking the code and not contributing anything back so they changed the license and Transgaming forked the code.

Slougi

Nice :)
Could you tell me what speed you were getting and your machine specs? Also, did you try some other audio plugin?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Yea Slougi I did get 1964 to work in Linux under WineX. Sound was a issue, no matter which plugin you use. Speed for my was very nice, i got between 45 and 80FPS. If the video plugin your using (i used jabo's 1.4) has some problems inside the game under windows you really see the effects in Linux, as the D3D to O-GL/SDL conversions aren't exactly 100%.

Anyways, I'm happy to see someone else got WineX to compile, many people can't :D

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Slougi said:
:)

Hmm, I wonder why all sound plugins would fuck up.
/me goes poke azi with a biggish wooden rod
Probably because WineX doesn't do DirectSound very well, also I tried it like 3 monthst ago so the newer WineX builds may support 1964 better, i really dont know

OP
J

jdm

The sound is skippy sounding in WindowsXP too. I tested it on another box. Its kind of odd.

1964 will run fine in WineX out of the box. I'll post some screenshots in a few minutes after I take some.

Edit: Forgot to mention the specs for my machine:

AMD XP 1.4GHz (XP 1600+)
512MB DDR PC2100 RAM
GeForce3 Ti500 (or 550, I forgot)
SoundBlaster Live X-Gamer

Kernel 2.4.19 w/ Gentoo Linux patches
Alsa Driver 0.9.0_rc2 for sound

I think thats about it.

Last edited:
OP
J

jdm

http://jdm.tuxnet.net/screenshots.html

Since we are on the topic of Linux, anyone know how to make QT3 themes? Thats all I need to finish my BlueHeart theme.

Edit: Just tested the sound on the Windows XP box and it sounds *alot* better than it does in WineX : \

There is still skipping and pops on the windows box but it isn't nearly as bad as it is in WineX

Last edited:
OP
J

jdm

Forgot to metion one thing, using any other video plugin besides TR64 will output screwed up ROMs wether its on Linux or Windows. Has anyone else experienced this? I've got NVidia GeForce cards in both machines.

Slougi

jdm said:
Forgot to metion one thing, using any other video plugin besides TR64 will output screwed up ROMs wether its on Linux or Windows. Has anyone else experienced this? I've got NVidia GeForce cards in both machines.
Weird, does that include Jabo's plugin? That should work very well. I am currently merging wine, so we will see in a minute or so if it works only on winex or also on wine.

PS: I use gnome so I can't help with the themes ;)

Slougi

Ok, I just finished compiling wine and tested 1964. I got no ausio output at all (weird?!), and video was strangely garbled with the unofficial daedalus plugin, half the geometry was missing and after messing with some settings only 2d sprites were left :p
Switched to tr64 ogl and Mario runs fine, just a tad slow :)

Going to unmerge wine now and merge winex, to see if it runs better.

OP
J

jdm

Slougi said:
Ok, I just finished compiling wine and tested 1964. I got no ausio output at all (weird?!), and video was strangely garbled with the unofficial daedalus plugin, half the geometry was missing and after messing with some settings only 2d sprites were left :p
Switched to tr64 ogl and Mario runs fine, just a tad slow :)

Going to unmerge wine now and merge winex, to see if it runs better.

Exact same problem I had on both WindowsXP and Linux. I only tried the default plugins and TR64. "Old Driver" is the only one that would output sound.

Let me know how things work. I don't know about all of the different plugins so I'm not sure what to test. I've never used an N64 emulator until a few days ago.

Slougi

jdm said:
Exact same problem I had on both WindowsXP and Linux. I only tried the default plugins and TR64. "Old Driver" is the only one that would output sound.

Let me know how things work. I don't know about all of the different plugins so I'm not sure what to test. I've never used an N64 emulator until a few days ago.
I tried it in winex, and everything was a LOT faster, full speed I would. For some reason the toolbar at the bottom was messed up so I couldn't see the speed :baaa:. I tried a few plugins etc and all worked fine afaiks except sound, but I have not played around with it too much just yet. Gonna experiment a bit more.

OP
J

jdm

I'll look around for new sound plugins. I remember visiting a web page with plugins but at that time I was trying to get Mupen64 (the Linux port) to work so I didn't bother to bookmark it. I'm going to try different sound plugins if there is a wide variety and hope sound will work alright. I'm guessing 1964 uses DirectX for sound since it was mentioned earlier in this thread?

Slougi

jdm said:
I'll look around for new sound plugins. I remember visiting a web page with plugins but at that time I was trying to get Mupen64 (the Linux port) to work so I didn't bother to bookmark it. I'm going to try different sound plugins if there is a wide variety and hope sound will work alright. I'm guessing 1964 uses DirectX for sound since it was mentioned earlier in this thread?
Yes, afaik all n64 sound plugins use direct sound.